Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My office went tie free - but we still have to wear a suit

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    454 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty solid in the tie wearing camp. It doesn't bother me and I feel like I am more put together.

@hockeysc23 I don't know how they informed us to be honest. I heard about it second hand some someone else. The higher ups though still wear ties, and I meet with them on a semi-regular basis, so for that reason alone I think wearing a tie is a good idea.
    Gotcha, I was curious how presented. In that situation I would still wear a tie. I consult for a government office and they sent us a memo indicating people need to remember to wear shirts with collars and no hiking boots ... it's the wild wild west out here. We've got from well-dressed, to bad pinstripe suits, to athletic team polos, to uniformed LEOs, to untucked hawaiian shirts and jeans.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    Minority view here, but I see suit + no tie as being an intermediate half-step of formality between sports coat + slacks and suit + tie. I think that it looks fine as long as you avoid excessively bland (e.g. charcoal suit + white shirt) color combinations.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)
    I think I'd find going tieless to be more of a hassle, simply because I wouldn't be satisfied with a floppy open collar. Shopping for button-down collar dress shirts, or having to position magnets and collar stiffeners, would be more of a time-consuming annoyance than throwing on a tie (I'll admit to the bad habit of leaving my ties knotted).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    I think it depends on the suit. Sounds like your current suits may be on the more formal side and then I would agree that a tie may be needed. But, I actually really like the casual suit no tie look (linen suit or patch pockets / unstructured shoulders). I am on the shorter side and I think having the suit with consistent color sometimes looks better on me then having a different color sport coat that breaks up the lines.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    I only wear a suit around the city outside of work (IT, usually polo/ocbd and Chino/slacks). Usually only wear when I feel like dressing up a little, going to a museum or Broadway show. Generally don't wear a tie, similar to https://dappered.com/2018/03/in-revi...linen-un-suit/

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)
    It's pretty common in finance and law office in New York. Guys keep a stash of ties in their desk drawers for client meetings and take them off once a client leaves. I wear suits without a tie all the time. It's far better than when I worked for a financial firm that required a tie but not a suit. That was really stupid. A suit with out a tie can look elegant if it's well tailored. I also always wear a pocket square, which helps complete the look.

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1364 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joekloo View Post
    I think it depends on the suit. Sounds like your current suits may be on the more formal side and then I would agree that a tie may be needed. But, I actually really like the casual suit no tie look (linen suit or patch pockets / unstructured shoulders). I am on the shorter side and I think having the suit with consistent color sometimes looks better on me then having a different color sport coat that breaks up the lines.
    Yeah, you could be on to something there. My suits are on the more formal side. If I could find a more casual suit (if such a thing exists) then that might be a gateway drug to dressing without a tie.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Yeah, you could be on to something there. My suits are on the more formal side. If I could find a more casual suit (if such a thing exists) then that might be a gateway drug to dressing without a tie.
    I think Suit Supply's entire line of suits falls more on the casual side. By casual, I mean contemporary and not traditional btw, and can see all of them being fine, sans tie.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)
    as an aside, I don't know how I feel about a waistcoat without a tie. Thoughts on that?

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1364 Post(s)
    I have several waistcoats that I bought from JC. I used to wear them semi-regularly during the winter months, but last winter for the first time I didn't wear them. Not sure why...Oh and to answer your question I always wore them with a tie.