Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm new to shoes are leather soles slippery? What to do?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    They are just classy, stylish, and quality. It's the same as buying a mechanical watch over a quartz watch. Life should not always be utilitarian - otherwise, why have Dappered.com, and why not just go around in sweat pants, new balance, and graphic tees all the day long. :-)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    382 Post(s)
    I sand the first half and heels of smooth leather soles before wearing them. This eliminates the break in period.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)
    This guy, who makes hand-made shoes, claims the leather sole will form to your foot, and if made properly, they are more durable than rubber and will hold up longer.

https://www.standardhandmade.com/blo...-leather-soles

Also, check out some of his shoes, pretty bad ass, but expensive.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Before I wear any new leather soles, I have the cobbler apply a thin, rubber piece to the surface. It protects the leather and prevents slipping.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    Leather is definitely slippery on some surfaces even when dry. A couple of my company offices have tile floors in some places that are very slick on leather. I just deal with it and use it as an excuse to work on balance and poise while walking.
    Mark

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    "Why buy leather soles if they are slippery and will wear out quickly"

They really are very durable. The leather soles on my Strands usually don't need to be replaced before i've worn the replacement heel down all the way.

They're the definitive most traditional method of dress shoe contraction. The shoes tend to be especially smooth to wear, and easy to walk in, and very comfortable. The only real drawback is that they're not really made for the rain. Mostly it's about wearing a tier of quality shoes well above what most people are wearing. If you don't like them you can go get some ones from target or something, who cares.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    Leather soles feel good when you walk. I like Dainite quite a bit but it feels less forgiving. Just wear the shoes for a couple days and they won't be slippery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCashhh View Post
    I am wondering the same. The more expensive shoes (better shoes) usually have leather soles, some do have a rubber heel (I assume that helps a lot?). I am buying shoes for work, so i will be walking in the streets, in the subway, on tile floors, basically all types of material.

Why buy leather soles if they are slippery and will wear out quickly. Am I better of just buying department store shoes with a rubber sole?
    Agreed.

Since I've started getting into nicer shoes, I've noticed the improved immediate comfort of leather soles but the decreased wearability and versatility. My Dainite or similar soles can be worn at any time, any weather, any day but took a bit longer to break in. I haven't had any real wear issues with leather soles despite walking 1 mile roundtrip daily over unfriendly southern pavement. Now about two years into my sartorial apprenticeship, I don't see the true advantage of leather soles although now I realize most of my "first upgrade of the wardrobe" shoes have them. Oh well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    Leather soles feel good when you walk. I like Dainite quite a bit but it feels less forgiving. Just wear the shoes for a couple days and they won't be slippery.
    It depends

in my experience my Allen Edmonds ( I like these a lot) don't slip after a couple of wears. Almost a rule: you walk, say a quarter, mile total on the streets with them and these will henceforth, provide surprisingly good grip on most surfaces. Somw times even out of the box , Allen Edmonds provide reasonable good grip... Not all brands. some quite expensive, are so forgiving.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCashhh View Post
    I am wondering the same. The more expensive shoes (better shoes) usually have leather soles, some do have a rubber heel (I assume that helps a lot?). I am buying shoes for work, so i will be walking in the streets, in the subway, on tile floors, basically all types of material.

Why buy leather soles if they are slippery and will wear out quickly. Am I better of just buying department store shoes with a rubber sole?
    I think people are overstating how quickly leather soles wear out. You can easily have a leather sole last several years. I bought my first pair of leather soled shoes about 5 years ago and they're nowhere near needing to be replaced. Though I do have quite a few pairs that I rotate through.