Thread: Weight Loss and Clothing Fit

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)

Weight Loss and Clothing Fit

For those who have lost a decent amount of weight at some point, what did you do to/with your wardrobe? I've lost some, and am continuing to lose some weight, and so many of my clothes now don't fit properly. What may have been a nice slim fit before now looks large and baggy - shirts, pants, suits, blazers - almost to the point of being unwearable.

What do I do now? Especially regarding (1) items needing too much alteration that it's not possible and (2) items that aren't worth altering. For the first, one example would be a blazer I got tailored already. However, I then lost even more weight and now it seems too big. I don't think it could be tailored anymore. For the second, is there a point in getting a $35 J.Crew OCBD tailored or my $40 J.Crew Chinos?

Should I just give away/sell old items that no longer work and buy new sizes?

I'd love your advice for those who have experienced this. The good thing is, watches and shoes pretty much don't apply to this, so no worries there!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    I lost about 20lbs and have pretty much kept it off. Not a massive amount but enough that I did have to replace a lot. I did it in batcehs. For me, it kind of helped me keep most of it off. I didnt want to outgrow all the clothes i had just bought lol.

as for "is it worth tailoring" I am in the reduce/recycle/reuse camp and if I can still use something I already own without spending m ore than the replacement cost, I will. So if the shirt has some life left to it, I will get it altered for a few bucks. If it cant be, then I will donate or give away anything that I can't net a decent return on. My time is more valuable than negotiating 42 sales for $17 each. I would rather donate and take the tax write off.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)
    I lost too much to tailor. I donated everything, with the exception of a few standout sport coats that I gave to my dad who wears the same size I used to. I saw a pic of him wearing the Navy hopsack I gave him, so at least some is getting use over with him.

Needless to say, anyone who wore a size 44 coat and went to Goodwill on the right day would have found a treasure trove, I had so many sport coats.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    I lost too much to tailor. I donated everything, with the exception of a few standout sport coats that I gave to my dad who wears the same size I used to. I saw a pic of him wearing the Navy hopsack I gave him, so at least some is getting use over with him.

Needless to say, anyone who wore a size 44 coat and went to Goodwill on the right day would have found a treasure trove, I had so many sport coats.
    Oh man, I'm a 44L, should have been there!

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1403 Post(s)
    I am loosing weight too. None of my pants fit. So far I am just tightening up my belt as much as I can. Yeah, it looks terrible but I am living with it for the time being.

Ultimately if I can keep the weight off, I will replace my clothes bit by bit. The good thing about buying my clothes from the Gap, and on sale, is that the clothes are not that expensive. So I won't be shelling out tones of cash to replace everything. Still, there is always the concern that I'll give the clothes away, but new stuff, and then gain the weight back...

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I am loosing weight too. None of my pants fit. So far I am just tightening up my belt as much as I can. Yeah, it looks terrible but I am living with it for the time being.

Ultimately if I can keep the weight off, I will replace my clothes bit by bit. The good thing about buying my clothes from the Gap, and on sale, is that the clothes are not that expensive. So I won't be shelling out tones of cash to replace everything. Still, there is always the concern that I'll give the clothes away, but new stuff, and then gain the weight back...
    thats a good point. I did go with old navy and target on my first round, just to be sure I didnt lose tons of cash if I put it back on. I also had to experiment with what I liked on my slightly new build. I never liked v-neck tees until I lost a little weight and put on a (very) little bit of muscle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I have had two weight loss stages. The first was down 3 sizes, so everything got donated. I was stable for 2 years, then dropped 1 more size. I have been stable now for 2 years. I have kept most of the clothing that is only 1 size large unaltered--I might someday need it as I am not getting any younger.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)
    I think what this thread is highlighting is assessing where you are. Some people fluctuate a lot and the last thing you'd want to do is toss everything and be right back in that size should life happen. On the other hand you want to celebrate and reward the hard work so far. I donate my normal clothes to salvation army. For suits and dress clothes there is a local charity that gives them to young kids and out of work homeless people for interviews. I believe it's Called Dress for Success or something similar.

When I lost enough weight that sizes didn't fit right, I phased in new clothes. I focused on staples that would work across all avenues (new blue blazer, new white and blue dress shirts, new gray work pants, etc.) versus fixing clothing in all aspects of my ward robe.

My tailor is also a trusted guy. He looked at some of my older suits and said honestly it's not worth it for me to tailor these for you. It would cost you too much. So I started phasing in new suits but keeping at staples.

I've kept 2 of those roughly 8-10 suits. A black suit for funerals, so fit isn't important. And another that was an interesting pattern and not as nice as my SS and S&M ones for riding the metro and other occasions that might warrant it.

My advice would be to work slowly.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aręte View Post
    For the second, is there a point in getting a $35 J.Crew OCBD tailored or my $40 J.Crew Chinos?

Should I just give away/sell old items that no longer work and buy new sizes?
    Would you say those pieces have a couple years or so left with weekly wear? If so, it's definitely worth it.