Thread: The question of the black watch

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1056 Post(s)

The question of the black watch

I have my opinion but am curious what others think. How much do you let a sporty black watch impact your outfit? Or vice versa? When it comes to leathers I pay attention. When it comes to a sporty watch like this, it matters a lot less to me. Pic for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    I care that the band gels with the outfit, not that it matches leathers. I wouldn't hesitate to wear a black band with a dark navy shirt, even if I'm not wearing black sneakers. But, if my clothing colors were light and my shoes were light, nope. Exception is if shoes are grey or white.

Speaking of grey... For watches like you're wearing, I'd swap the band to mid grey, and then never worry about it again. Grey watch bands are criminally underrated. Mid grey watch band goes with literally everything.

Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2030 Post(s)
    Black silicone/rubber/textile goes with whatever, as long as it's casual. I feel like it works better with more "urban" leaning, streetwear-ish combos/palettes, versus something more preppy/country-oriented. So for example I think a black watch would look great with grey denim, white sneakers, a navy short-sleeved shirt. It wouldn't look quite as good with khaki chinos, a polo, and brown leather boat shoes.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quoted
    449 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Black silicone/rubber/textile goes with whatever, as long as it's casual. I feel like it works better with more "urban" leaning, streetwear-ish combos/palettes, versus something more preppy/country-oriented. So for example I think a black watch would look great with grey denim, white sneakers, a navy short-sleeved shirt. It wouldn't look quite as good with khaki chinos, a polo, and brown leather boat shoes.
    I agree with this. I have a blacked out Hamilton and it only sees casual use.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1056 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    I care that the band gels with the outfit, not that it matches leathers. I wouldn't hesitate to wear a black band with a dark navy shirt, even if I'm not wearing black sneakers. But, if my clothing colors were light and my shoes were light, nope. Exception is if shoes are grey or white.

Speaking of grey... For watches like you're wearing, I'd swap the band to mid grey, and then never worry about it again. Grey watch bands are criminally underrated. Mid grey watch band goes with literally everything.
    I had this on a grey canvas when it was cooler out. I like this look a little better. I meeting tech shorts, a v neck tee, and water sneakers. The vibe isndef casual. My shorts are Navy and I didn't care. It's what made me think of the topic.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1056 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Agree. I don't qeary black watches with lighter colored clothes. Only exception is a pair of British khaki colored shorts I camp in.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    Agree. I don't qeary black watches with lighter colored clothes. Only exception is a pair of British khaki colored shorts I camp in.

Well, camping defeats the need for style.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1056 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Well, camping defeats the need for style.
    lol, yeah, definitely function over form. I am the oddball that still tries to look half decent though. But yeah, my camping shorts are cargos.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1360 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    lol, yeah, definitely function over form. I am the oddball that still tries to look half decent though. But yeah, my camping shorts are cargos.
    I learned this the hard way. Several years back we were camping and I decided that I wanted to still look half decent. So I packed some nicer shorts and nicer shirts. Yeah, that was a mistake. Throw in a camp fire, some sparks messy camp food, and just the overall-ness of being out in nature for a couple of days and my nicer clothes quickly turned in to messier clothes. I now just stick with 'roughing it' clothes when camping.

Re your original question, the only sport black watch that I own is my Garmin. The watch gets worn for running, hiking, etc. I just wear it with whatever outfit I'm wearing in that particular situation. Usually outdoors something-or-other.