Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calvin Klein Quality?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quoted
    449 Post(s)

Calvin Klein Quality?

I was in menís warehouse during lunch getting fitted for my friends wedding party (side rant wasting 200 on a rental suit is the worst). I noticed that Calvin Klein had a lot of nice looking sport coats. Even a burgundy suit which is something if the price is right Iíve wanted.

I didnít have really have time to try on but the label said 100% wool. I assume itís not amazing quality given itís more about brand name but if the price is right are they serviceable items?

Besides fit and checking for how much polyester what else should I be looking for on the tags etc?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    616 Post(s)

Thumbs up

it's about the same quality you'd find at most low to mid range stuff you'd find at a macys type department store.

it's not particularly badly styled, and they're not super expensive so i think you could do ok.

I personally see 'modern' styled clothes like that as something better for other people than me, but I do feel other companies do it a little bit better. If you asked me to describe the 'CK style' these days, it would be pretty hard to differentiate it from others.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    Not sure what color range specifically when you say burgundy, but I did manage to locate this within about 2 minutes of opening a tab to suitsupply's website:

https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...1=red&pdp=true

So it's something to keep in mind when perusing price tags and such. If it's significantly less than the Suitsupply option it may very well be a good pickup, but if it's +/- 150 dollars or so, I'd probably just wait for the next SS outlet to open up and grab the Havana.

Or it could be a totally different color range and I'm way OT, at which point please carry on.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    382 Post(s)
    As far as I know, they are manufactured by Peerless Clothing.

Peerless Clothing makes tailored clothes for the Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, and several other brands.

One thing you might notice if you look carefully at these various brand suits in a clothing store like Men's Wearhouse is their construction is the same. If you have any experience with the other brands, you have experience with these. For example, the "Lauren Ralph Lauren" $200 coat is going to be approximately the same as $200 "Tommy Hilfiger" or "Calvin Klein" as far as actual manufacturing process. The main differences are the textile patterns and styles.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)
    The label is also a clue. White labels bearing the name Calvin Klein are department-store generics for which the manufacturer licensed the Klein name. CK Calvin Klein, on a grey label, are a step up, on par with the Joseph Abboud line (usually only seen on shirts at Men's Wearhouse). Calvin Klein Collection are manufactured under the designer's supervision and carry the attendant price premium.

White-label Calvin Klein wool is a step ahead of say the Bar 3 at Macy's, or the JCF Thompson, but not by too much. They're fused, usually polyester-lined, and the construction is at best competent. I will say the fit is pretty good with relatively soft shoulders and high armholes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quoted
    449 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    Not sure what color range specifically when you say burgundy, but I did manage to locate this within about 2 minutes of opening a tab to suitsupply's website:

https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...1=red&pdp=true

So it's something to keep in mind when perusing price tags and such. If it's significantly less than the Suitsupply option it may very well be a good pickup, but if it's +/- 150 dollars or so, I'd probably just wait for the next SS outlet to open up and grab the Havana.

Or it could be a totally different color range and I'm way OT, at which point please carry on.
    That does look good. The burgundy CK was around 200.

I love suit supply but they refuse to be large thigh friendly haha had my pants let out on my previous pair of Napoli and my tailor indicated there is just not a lot of material there is the pants.

In general a lot of good info here. I had no idea about the tags etc. thanks all for the info. Seems for me best to stick with the vetted and trusted brands that have been promoted here.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    That does look good. The burgundy CK was around 200.

I love suit supply but they refuse to be large thigh friendly haha had my pants let out on my previous pair of Napoli and my tailor indicated there is just not a lot of material there is the pants.

In general a lot of good info here. I had no idea about the tags etc. thanks all for the info. Seems for me best to stick with the vetted and trusted brands that have been promoted here.

If it had been around 400 or so i'd say suitsupply all day, but at 200 bucks plus your chonky man-legs it's a big difference. I do know if you go to a brick and mortar suitsupply they're much more flexible especially if it's an item they need to order; they can swap trousers out and then the "odd" trouser and jacket just goes to the next outlet sale.

another option depending on location might be S&M MTM or some other MTM house; I know Alton Lane (don't go by the website, very little of what they *ACTUALLY* can offer is on there) starts around $550 for a 2-piece MTM--though admittedly for a more bold or seasonal piece it would likely be in the 650+ range.

If the fit is good, it isn't super boxy and doesn't have mega-low arm holes, $200-300 isn't a big deal for something that probably wouldn't be worn *that* often. I tend to spend more on the stuff I wear more frequently, simply because the tendency is for a larger investment to pay off in terms of longevity. If my JCF thompsons were unwearable tomorrow I'd be fine with that, as I've gotten well over the cost of a rental out of each, and they've served me well. In fact, it may be time for an Airman's Attic donation just to free up some space.....

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    382 Post(s)
    Totally aside, but one reason I have an easier time recommending the direct-to-consumer brands like SuitSupply and S&M is you know what you are getting and why. One Suitsupply jacket costs $700 while same color jacket costs $350... oh that's because one is cashmere and the other is wool. No guessing involved.

In contrast, this Calvin Klein jacket costs $700 while the other similar one is $350... who knows why? Could be inventory problems because they had to place such a huge order from Asian factories. Could be that the $700 one has a marketing campaign behind it that the $350 doesn't have. They might well be exactly the same, we don't know.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    210 Post(s)
    Why has nobody asked this - what's your build? This affects which brands will work on you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I have a navy CK blazer that fits me better than anything else in my closet. Itís 1/4 lined in poly, unstructured, and has a very unique (to me) texture, almost like a sweater. But itís definitely not a ďswazerĒ. Probably my favorite jacket. But donít tell #menswear.