Thread: Henley’s for hot and humid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Henley’s for hot and humid

I live in Texas, and the heat and humidity is on its way. I love JCrew’s Henley as a stylish casual look just for day to day living. But the cotton doesn’t do well once the heat and the humidity ramps up. I’d love to find some linen or seersucker Henley’s or maybe even v neck t shirts if anyone has any recommendations. Thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)
    I know that Bonobos has linen Henley's. I've never tried them because I've never cared for how linen looks. I've never heard of anyone making a seersucker Henley, but I suppose anything is possible.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)
    I too am interested. It's tough to find a good henley; if the body fits then the sleeves dont, or the shirt fits but the neck is awkward, or the placard hands weird.

My favorite henley was a gap outlet polo which I cut the collar off of. Might be an option for you if you have a suitable polo.

Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2030 Post(s)
    Cheaper options are good here because the material, being cheaper, generally tends to be thinner and flimsier. That generally means lighter and more breathable for warm weather use. (The trade-off is that the longevity of the garment will be much shorter than something made of a sturdier, higher-quality material.) Target has had short-sleeved henleys in past years that have worked well for me in terms of being fairly light and breathable.

You can also consider sizing up for enhanced airflow and rolling up the sleeves as much as necessary to prevent middle aged baggy sleeve syndrome. In summer I like to wear slightly more relaxed fits so that I don't feel stifled/overheated by my clothing.

You're not likely to find tees or henleys in linen or seersucker. Tees and henleys are generally knitted and therefore have enough stretch and give to pull them on over your head, even when they are 100% cotton. Seersucker and linen are almost always going to be in woven fabrics that have much less natural give, and are therefore going to made into button-up shirts rather than tees or henleys.

You could look for short-sleeved shirts or popovers in these materials. With a popover, you generally have to wear it pretty loose or else you won't be able to pull it over your head. You may be able to find short-sleeved shirts or popovers that have a banded collar or no collar, if you're looking for something similar in style to a henley.
    Ben

Varsity Member jharrisonbarrett's Avatar
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahaiden View Post
    I live in Texas, and the heat and humidity is on its way. I love JCrew’s Henley as a stylish casual look just for day to day living. But the cotton doesn’t do well once the heat and the humidity ramps up. I’d love to find some linen or seersucker Henley’s or maybe even v neck t shirts if anyone has any recommendations. Thanks!
    I've got some merino wool henley's from Taylor Stitch that I love. They were pretty much the only thing I wore during our road-trip stop in Phoenix. They're not in stock now but you could find something similar with a simple google search. Naturally, they're more expensive but worth it IMO.

Varsity Member jharrisonbarrett's Avatar
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    https://huckberry.com/store/t/catego...g/tops/henleys

Might be helpful. I'm close to pulling the trigger on the 72 hour ones but I'm not sure how I feel about the metal snaps.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    241 Post(s)
    Look for Cotton-Linen blends. I have a few that I bought years ago from Old Navy. I originally thought that they would be delicate and last only a season, but I the linen actually makes them stronger. They are some of my favorite shirts in the Houston heat. Old Navy doesn’t look like they have them any more, but a quick search found a few options at Banana Republic.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    724 Post(s)
    try the express super soft ones

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1056 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Cheaper options are good here because the material, being cheaper, generally tends to be thinner and flimsier. That generally means lighter and more breathable for warm weather use.
    This is what I do, sticking with darker colors so you cant see through it too much. I have tattoos and dark body hair and some brands are so thin that you can see these through the fabric (looking at you J Crew factory). Not a fan of that.

I might try some popovers though. Anyone have a good recommendation for an inexpensive one to try out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I never thought about the reason they wouldn’t be made into a tee in that way, thanks, maybe the banded collar would be the better option.