Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More about shrinkage and BR Luxury Touch polos

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)

More about shrinkage and BR Luxury Touch polos

The alleged shrinkage on the Banana Republic Luxury-Touch polos is well known--just check out the reviews and you'll see that almost all of the negative reviewers talk about it. I've mentioned my own experience here before: https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...Sweat-It-polos.

Despite past experience, I bought several slim fit Luxury-Touch polos during the recent labor day sale, because I really like them, and the medium tall is a great fit for me. And since people like Joe (and the overwhelming majority of the reviewers) don't seem to have any issues with shrinking, I wondered if maybe I (and all the other negative reviewers) had simply bought shirts from bad batches.

Anyway, I wore two of the new shirts for the first time last week, and I washed them both this weekend--cold water, hang (completely) dry, and a brief, dry tumble on low heat afterward to shake out the wrinkles. And of course, they each shrunk up about an inch, as well as noticeably in throughout the body. At this point, I don't mind, because they fit me a bit better, but it does not bode well for the long term--if they do it again, they'll be unwearable for me.

Just thought I'd put this out there. There's definitely something going on with that fabric. I wish I knew what magic other people are working to keep theirs from shrinking.

(By comparison, I have two Don't Sweat It polos, which in standard sizing are almost indistinguishable from the tall slim Luxury Touch shirts, other than being a touch boxier through the midsection. These have been through a few wash cycles, as well as the dryer [low heat], with no noticeable shrinkage.)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    382 Post(s)
    I'd just point out that if you tumble dry cotton, it will shrink. If it's already dry, the effect is stronger. For shirts like this, I iron wet and hang dry to eliminate wrinkles. If there are still some wrinkles, I use a steamer.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    I'd just point out that if you tumble dry cotton, it will shrink. If it's already dry, the effect is stronger. For shirts like this, I iron wet and hang dry to eliminate wrinkles. If there are still some wrinkles, I use a steamer.
    Interesting. I did not realize that putting dry clothes in the dryer would cause them to shrink. Of course, if I have to iron my polos I don't want to wear them

Follow up question--what is it that causes the shrinking if not the drying under heat? Will cotton shirts shrink if you spend a lot of time outside somewhere hot (like Phoenix)?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)
    I think that tumbling is another contributor. I'd bet that if you just tumbled with no heat you'd still see shrinkage. Even low heat setting on dryer could be around 120F, hopefully it's not that hot in Phoenix. I certainly wouldn't want to spend any time outside in that kind of temperature.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    382 Post(s)
    Agitation is the main cause.

As far as drying dry clothes, the effect here is because fibers have a baseline water content. That is, even "dry," cotton holds a certain amount of water. If you then remove this natural quantity of water, the agitation-driven shrinking process goes full speed.

Heat from wearing and ironing doesn't shrink clothes as there isn't the kind of agitation in a washer/dryer cycle. If you wash on delicate and then apply heat from an iron, no significant shrinking should occur as the fibers are being jostled closer together, they are still stretched out.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    382 Post(s)
    Sorry I mean "are not" moving closer together. Tumbling makes fibers tense up and align themselves closer together, thus "shrinking."

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    I appear to be the only person this hasn't happened to. /shrug

Sorry to hear it did of course, but i'm now perplexed as I've not experienced the issue myself.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)
    I have some of these and haven't experienced any shrinking. I just wash them in cold water with Woolite Dark and air dry them. The medium slim fit polos fit me better than anything else I've found.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    I got one a few years ago and the length shrunk enough that it's borderline too short to wear.

I think you're lucky it shrunk into a better fit on you, now I'd just be very careful with them and wash on cold then maybe steam out wrinkles if necessary after hang drying.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    I appear to be the only person this hasn't happened to. /shrug

Sorry to hear it did of course, but i'm now perplexed as I've not experienced the issue myself.
    Yeah, I'm perplexed, too. It seems like most people have your experience. And yet, there's a non-trivial number of people like me who find that these things are the shrinkiest shirts ever made. Very strange.