Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More about shrinkage and BR Luxury Touch polos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Stay away from “Luxury Touch” from BR or “Dress” style from BR Factory

So I’ve purchased three items that I can consider total losses at this point... I was researching online to see if anybody had the same issue with the shrinkage in these Banana Republic “Luxury Touch” polo shirts after the fact I’ve wasted money on these things and they pretty much fit my 6’1” 200lb frame like as if I purchased a size XS-S from a size Large (standard fit). I came across this thread and had to chime in with my experience.

I’ve gone through 2 of these polo shirts and now a 100% rayon “Soft Camp shirt”. Be advised that if the material has a “silk” like touch, is labeled “Luxury Touch” or “Dress” style (BR Factory) chances are it’s going to undergo extreme shrinkage.

The first polo shirt, I dry cleaned it after the first wear/use because I wanted to take good care of it and it still shrunk! I then purchased a SECOND Luxe Touch polo thinking it was the dry cleaning process that screwed the cotton’s composition. Lo and behold, after washing on a delicate cycle, cold, with like colors inside out, air dried on a flat surface indoors, and with Woolite it still shrunk approximately 2.75” from the hem up and from the width. I’m not even going to touch on the whole Soft Camp shirt experience because it’s just incredibly disappointing. I just wrote to BR customer service requesting that something be taken up to their upper management about this issue. Mind you, I have 2 of the “Don't Sweat It” polos and those haven’t undergone any shrinkage all the while using the same washing and drying methods so that just proved to me that it’s the cotton’s composition in the Luxe and Dress lineups.
    Last edited by phonix56; July 6th, 2019 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Odd punctuation marks

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)
    Aside from the issue of some people using dryers, perhaps water quality is a factor.

I've not had any shrinkage issues. My area relies on rainwater so it's almost perfectly soft (automotive stores have never carried distilled water for mixing coolant). That means we can use less soap (I use a quarter of the recommended amount at most), cold water is still an effective solvent, and everything rinses out.

I wonder if soap residue and mineral deposits left by harder water affect shrinkage as the material dries, even at room temperature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I recently purchased one, a bit skeptical due to threads like this. I'm 6' and am generally somewhere between perfect L and debating between L and M in BR sizing. After 2 washes it fits pretty spot on. I wish I'd paid more attention when I first got it although I remember it feeling a bit on the Large size, particularly in length but I unfortunately didn't do a very scientific comparison. I didn't do anything special in the wash, just threw it in with my other stuff.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I have two - the navy one shrunk over the season to be unwearable. The black one is just fine. Both washed in cold and dried in the dryer....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I have a luxury touch henley and a luxury touch polo. I've had the henley for about a year and probably washed it about a dozen times with no noticeable shrinkage. I've had the polo for about a month and washed it three times with no noticeable shrinkage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I finally got rid of my lux touch polos. Loved the feel and cut but the shrinkage was a major problem. I always washed mine on delicate cycle and line dried them.