Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lightweight jacket for summer humid climate

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Are you looking for something that will keep you dry? Or just for a little warmth until the sun comes out? If it's the latter then a military style jacket could work but so could a lightweight cotton crewneck sweater or sweatshirt (since you don't seem to want a hood) or a cardigan if you don't want to pull it on and off over your head. If it's to keep you dry then I'm not sure military is the way to go - most of those (except bombers) are cotton (e.g. the M-65 field jacket and similar) and hence will get soaked through easily and take a while to dry out. I'd go with something like the Patagonia Torrent Shell - lots of other manufacturers make similar waterproof-breathable rain jackets so you don't necessarily have to spring for Patagucci but it represents the basic concept. That type of jacket is really the only thing that will keep what's under it dry in a downpour. Except an umbrella, which has the virtue of not adding a layer.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Sounds like you need a Mac jacket. BR has one that looks pretty good for a decent price.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)
    I don't know much about Miami, but if it's usually hot and humid then a mac coat or any coat that extends well past the hips might look silly.

80F is still pretty warm. If you just want to stay dry from light showers then those thin packable parkas from Uniqlo could be your best option. Anything thicker like a Harrington would be too warm. A waxed military jacket wouldn't breathe too well either. If you're out for long in a heavy downpour though, none of these options will keep you dry. Either wear a fully waterproof functional jacket (and sweat inside), or wear a very thin water-repellant jacket and use an umbrella.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1037 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by julius12 View Post
    I don't know much about Miami, but if it's usually hot and humid then a mac coat or any coat that extends well past the hips might look silly.

80F is still pretty warm. If you just want to stay dry from light showers then those thin packable parkas from Uniqlo could be your best option. Anything thicker like a Harrington would be too warm. A waxed military jacket wouldn't breathe too well either. If you're out for long in a heavy downpour though, none of these options will keep you dry. Either wear a fully waterproof functional jacket (and sweat inside), or wear a very thin water-repellant jacket and use an umbrella.
    agree. I would wear my North Face Venture II but he specifically said he didnt want a columbia windbreaker type jacket.