Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight jacket for summer humid climate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Lightweight jacket for summer humid climate

Hi everyone, long time reader of the site, just found the forum.

My question: what would you use on a summer miami climate as a jacket?

It usually rains at the end of the day, so all the shirts and tshirts and polos get sticky, wet and awful looking.

I m searching for a light jacket that i can use to run to a business meeting, a late night drink, dinner with wife and friends and do not look like a 15 year old

Not looking for hoodies,denim jackets or columbia windbreakers. The bomber jacket is a mistery cause my wife says that i look a valet guy....

The linem blazer do not work on rain...

i was tempted on a military jacket or a shirt jacket

Any good advice?

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2082 Post(s)
    An umbrella?
    Ben

TMann
    I have a lightweight field jacket in navy that I bought from Old Navy a few years back. It's cotton and unlined, so it's thin enough to wear on summer evenings. Because its blue, it is formal enough to go with chinos and button-up shirts, but it also looks great with jeans and t-shirts. I've been wearing that one, as well as another grey field jacket for the last few months.

Funny thing...my wife hated my nylon bomber, so I gave it away last week. And I always thought I looked really good in it...LOL.

And yes...get a nice umbrella. Here in the ultra-casual Pacific Northwest, people look down on umbrellas. I don't get that one.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    251 Post(s)
    Why do you think a shirt jacket will hold up any better in the rain? I'm not sure what you want truly exists. You want a waterproof jacket that looks appropriate in a business meeting? Maybe there's some synthetic performance cloth sport coat that will do this?

Why not a basic summer weight unlined blazer plus a thin oversized windbreaker you pull out when it starts raining?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Guys, let me give you today example.

today, typical miami weather, hot and humid, on the 90s, polo and chino shorts with sandals, perfect. each 30 minutes, the sky closes, starts to rain, temperature falls 10 degrees. After the washout, sunny again for about one hour, till the next round of rain.

I m still not comfortable using a blazer with shorts and sandals. But I know the hoodie that I had was not a great solution.

the military jackets seem to be the best...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    You're wearing shorts to business meetings? I am also not following this whole rain function youre talking about.

I live a little north in Orlando and my summer go to is an unlined seersucker blazer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    I'm also a little confused. If it's for a business meeting or to go out for drinks why wouldn't you want a hood? Also if it was nylon and not very professional looking couldn't you take it off as soon as you enter a building and before the meeting?

What about some of these rain coat options, or the lightweight jacket tab options also? https://huckberry.com/store/t/catego...r/rain-jackets

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boizola View Post
    Guys, let me give you today example.

today, typical miami weather, hot and humid, on the 90s, polo and chino shorts with sandals, perfect. each 30 minutes, the sky closes, starts to rain, temperature falls 10 degrees. After the washout, sunny again for about one hour, till the next round of rain.

I m still not comfortable using a blazer with shorts and sandals. But I know the hoodie that I had was not a great solution.

the military jackets seem to be the best...
    With this you would be OK with a waxed canvas jacket or a treated Harrington. I use my Harrington for what you are describing often and have plans on doing a spray on water treatment, just havent done it yet. Anything military or trucker leans sport casual IMO. But really, any natural fiber will be wet and messy. I use a nice rain jacket (not windbreaker) that packs into itself. Once the rain stops or you get out of it you just shake it a few times and back it into itself, then stick it in your bag.

no hood not only means your hair gets wet but it usually means water runs down your neck to your shirt.

Or get an umbrella. Its your best for a business environment.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    493 Post(s)
    I'd get a simple, non-logo'd black or blue rain jacket like from Columbia. If you get one with arm pit vents you can ensure you stay dry without getting sticky or too hot. I don't see how that will make you look like a 15 year old and seems given the unique requirements function might take priority over looks here. It seems to me the other clothing you may wear would reflect on the overall presentation rather than the jacket.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    476 Post(s)
    I'd honestly just keep an umbrella handy.

Or just embrace the fact it's just water, wet things will dry out, and if the sun is out and it's warm, they tend to dry quickly.

I say this with over a decade in the DC area, which used to be a literal swamp, and so I definitely understand the heat and humidity. For hot-weather looking good, a fresco or more open-weave sportcoat and summer-weight cotton, linen, or blend trousers are ideal. I'm working with Alton Lane here in DC on a few fresco-type dress shirts, very thin, very open weave, specifically targeted at ridiculous local summers.

I really can't wait to retire and leave this atrocious place. No offense to the locals, you grew up with it, and it's home to you....it isn't to me.