Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Climate and Clothes

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post
    Those are the ones. They are really interesting and are really quite light/thin. They feel nothing like jeans, but look just like them. The weave is still a tight denim, so I am pretty much done with them this summer, except for late evening dinners.
    I was in Brazil last year at this time visiting in-laws (my wife's cousins) and also taking a side trip to Rio with my wife, you know, since we were down there. I asked my wife's cousins how everyone could stand to wear jeans (saw lots of people wearing them) and they said they sell different and much thinner jeans down there so they're much more comfortable in tropical heat than the jeans sold in the States. Should have gone shopping and bought a couple pair for the DC summers. I have a feeling they'd have been far more affordable than the Gustin ones.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModifiedMind View Post
    This makes me think of an article on another style site that says cowboy boots are pretty much a no-go, "unless you live in Texas."
    Cowboy boots can work in many States outside TX. But they definitely work there. Although truth be told boots designed for riding horses (fitting in stirrups) are not real practical for anything else. No traction, stacked heels, zero cushioning...not real comfortable or practical if your mode of transport is perambulation.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    Cowboy boots can work in many States outside TX. But they definitely work there. Although truth be told boots designed for riding horses (fitting in stirrups) are not real practical for anything else. No traction, stacked heels, zero cushioning...not real comfortable or practical if your mode of transport is perambulation.
    I agree that they can work. I lived in Texas for a long time and now live in New Mexico. I laughed at that article for making them out to be more costume than acceptable option of footwear.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    436 Post(s)
    I agree that they can work. I lived in Texas for a long time and now live in New Mexico. I laughed at that article for making them out to be more costume than acceptable option of footwear.

Tecovas is one (of obviously countless) that comes to mind as a cowboy boot that, genuinely, could be worn with a suit in many circumstances. I actually *really* dig their pecan ostrich, so much so that my next trip to Texas will probably involve a day in Austin being fitted and placing an order.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)
    This makes me think of an article on another style site that says cowboy boots are pretty much a no-go, "unless you live in Texas."
    Nice Western boots are acceptable in Texas in any scenario where dress shoes are acceptable. Job interview, wedding, funeral, court, etc. Beats me how that became so universally accepted here, but it did. Also, it isn't a country boy thing - go downtown in a big city here, and you see lawyers and bankers walking around with Western boots on.

Go figure. It's not really my thing, although I do own a pair that I dig out for the rodeo and such.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    Massively hot and humid here in Atlanta area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk