Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Climate and Clothes

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    210 Post(s)
    I live in Houston. You just adjust. Bunch of fully lined wool sport coats? Nope. Bunch of unlined instructured linen/cotton sport coats. Flannel slacks? Nope. Summer weight chinos. OCBD? Yeah, in pinpoint.

That sort of thing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    210 Post(s)
    I would fix my typos but I'm on my phone and every time I try to edit, it just deletes my post.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    I would fix my typos but I'm on my phone and every time I try to edit, it just deletes my post.
    I have the same issue. For a while I could get it to cooperate in Chrome but not Firefox, but now if I want to edit a post I have to switch to desktop view and log in again.

Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2028 Post(s)
    Weather here is highly variable, regularly heating up during the day and then cooling down at night by 30-40°F or more. The main effect on my wardrobe is that I have to have lots of layers and be prepared to use them regularly.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    210 Post(s)
    More Houston examples.

Shetland sweater? Nope. Merino.
    Tall calf lace up boots? Not that useful. Unlined suede chukka? That's a 3 season boot.

The warm weather stuff tends to be cheaper, so it's really not bad.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    241 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModifiedMind View Post
    I've always worn boots as a staple year-round, even when I lived in Texas. Otherwise, I agree here...you have to expand the hot-weather clothes in that state and not worry as much about cold-weather clothes.

Are those the 6 oz Japan featherweights? How do you like them? I ordered a pair on the current campaign that's just barely up to 98% funded right now.
    Those are the ones. They are really interesting and are really quite light/thin. They feel nothing like jeans, but look just like them. The weave is still a tight denim, so I am pretty much done with them this summer, except for late evening dinners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I have been growing accustomed to changing wardrobe through the seasons. Now that summer is actually underway I'm missing the ease of denim, but I'm also glad to have some variety. I've found short-sleeve buttondowns and polo shirts that I actually like wearing, so it's not all bad.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    311 Post(s)
    You decide how to balance comfort and style. I used to wear a sport coat when it was too hot and humid--no more!

EDIT: As long as you look at least as good as the masses, you have no reason to feel under-styled.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aręte View Post
    How much does the climate you live in have an effect on your style?

I recently moved to Texas, and I feel that my whole wardrobe must now change because of the hot climate. I long for the cool days of more northern climates where sweaters, coats, jeans, and boots can still be worn. I'm finding it hard to be stylish in such hot weather.
    lol @ "i can't wear boots in Texas".

sorry had to rib you a bit. I tend to be in texas pretty frequently; summertime I go with linen or linen-cotton blend down below, less-tailored (meaning not as trim and close to the body, allows better airflow) shirts and really any jacket that isn't fully lined will do wonders compared with those that are for cooling.

Texas is also relaxed enough *most* of the time that a guy could get away with no tie and opening the top collar button and nobody's going to say or think anything of it. even so, on those days you just *have* to be in wool and a tie, the good news is most places and cars are air conditioned these days so it's not nearly as big of an issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    lol @ "i can't wear boots in Texas".
    This makes me think of an article on another style site that says cowboy boots are pretty much a no-go, "unless you live in Texas."