Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Dress" Polo?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

"Dress" Polo?

Looking for recommendations for nicer polos that are long enough to be tucked in, preferably brands I can try on in-store like BR, J Crew, Bonobos, etc. I don't know if "dress" polos are a thing, but if they are that's what I'm looking for.

Just started a new job as in-house counsel. Coming from the law firm world, I figured I'd at least be wearing slacks and a dress shirt or OCBD, but turns out the standard dress for the executive team I report to is slacks plus basically a golf polo. I'd stick out like a sore thumb if I wore long sleeves. The performance fabrics in golf shirts don't work very well for me (100% poly = stanky), so I'm looking for something mostly cotton, which looks good tucked in.

Maybe BR Luxe Touch? My concern with those is shrinkage. I currently have Uniqlo button-down collar (nice, but a little too short to reliably stay tucked), JCF pique flex (ok, but the collar curls quite a bit), and a mish-mash of actual golf shirts that I could wear in a pinch.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)
    Anything that fits well and has a button down collar.

Yeah that's not much help.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    IMO polos look terrible tucked-in, especially if (like 99% of us) you have anything less than flawless six-pack abs. I would stick to short-sleeved button-up shirts, or wear long-sleeved shirts and roll up the sleeves.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record... Brooks Brothers.

It is everything I've been wanting from a Ralph Lauren polo but they couldnt seem to get right. Material is 100% cotton and the pique weave looks fantastic. They have classic fits and colors, plus some trendier seasonal colors too. A simple logo which everyone-and-their-brother isnt wearing too.
    Last edited by whereismurder; June 4th, 2019 at 12:38 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I'll check out Brooks Brothers. That sounds like what I'm looking for.

LesserBlackDog, I completely agree on polos looking terrible tucked in. It really does seem to be the uniform here though. Every guy from the CEO on down. It's the construction industry, which I'm learning works a little differently, even on the business side.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhawk_esq View Post
    LesserBlackDog, I completely agree on polos looking terrible tucked in. It really does seem to be the uniform here though. Every guy from the CEO on down. It's the construction industry, which I'm learning works a little differently, even on the business side.
    Construction industry and football coaching, the two careers in which guys (usually in terrible shape) wear tucked-in polos.

I'd suggest the BR Luxe polos in part because the come in regular and long sizes, in both slim and standard cuts. I wash cold and hang dry, and have not experienced any significant shrinkage in my polos. I will say the fabric is relatively delicate so be careful about running it against rough surfaces. I ruined one shirt because I didn't notice the hook side of a Velcro step on my golf bag had curled up and was pressing against my back. Over four miles of walking it snagged and broke a noticeable number of the fine threads of the weave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    I agree with LesserBlackDog. The tucked-in polo is horrible, and even if that's what everyone's wearing, I'd still stray from that pack. And that's especially true since it sounds like you even hate the look -- I'd feel ridiculously uncomfortable wearing a look I didn't like.

The long sleeve button-up with rolled sleeves would look better, and I can't see you getting much grief for it. It's not like you'd be wearing a three-piece suit while everyone else has the football-coach look going on. You'd pretty much be doing the one-step-up thing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    252 Post(s)
    Spier and Mackay cutaway collar and button down collars are my go to in the summer. The summer in Texas dictates comfort over style. I prefer a button up shirt over a polo, but again, the heat! Unfortunately, you can’t try them on but they are solid.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Another vote for rolled up sleeves. But if it is a polo, you don't have to tuck it just because they do.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Love my Target Goodfellow & Co. Elevated Ultra Soft polo.

Fit great, super comfortable.

Don't tuck it in.