Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Dress" Polo?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    Go for a long-sleeved polo. Wear it untucked with the sleeves pushed up.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)
    As much as we'd like to revolutionize the cultural dress code @jayhawk_esq will face, we wouldn't be so willing to push him to sharply depart from it if, say, everybody wore suits and ties.

For some workplaces an untucked shirt for men is a step too far towards slovenly frat boys, as inappropriate and juvenile as shorts, visible underwear or sleeveless tops. At the same time, long sleeves can be regarded as too formal, much as a business informal office would look askance at a dinner jacket.

If it makes people feel better, think of him dressing to match professional golfers or a private golf club. It's a narrow range of options.

At least let him get established and respected in his new workplace before trying to overthrow the tucked-in polo tyranny. Then maybe he starts slowly introducing them to new ideas such as short-sleeve button-ups, or rolled-up sleeves.

I'll second the Spier & Mackay suggestion. They offer both button-down and shirt style collars (collars are all the same fabric as the body, no ribbed material) and make a big point about minimal shrinkage.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    FWIW I worked in construction litigation for several years. We primarily represented contractors in disputes with project owners, developers, and lenders. Our clients ranged from solo craftsmen to large regional commercial and high-end residential contractors and, on occasion, multinational commercial contractors who needed local counsel.

We dressed differently than our clients, even the wealthy owners of large companies that they'd built from the ground up starting as tradesmen themselves. But that was expected. They understood we were coming from a different place and operating in a different world than they did - which is why they hired us in the first place. I wouldn't hire someone in a business suit to remodel my house or build a hotel.

I'm not saying we wore suits every day. We were rarely in court (we had just two trials and a smattering of substantive hearings in the three years I worked there) and dressed mostly in business casual/smart casual at the office, even when meeting with clients (I tried to dress in jacket and tie for most initial consultations but usually just wore a button-down shirt and khakis after that). But we were still dressed up compared to most of our clients.

My point is - you are what and who you are and that's why they hired you to do the job. You shouldn't be afraid to deviate somewhat from the company norm in terms of attire because what you bring to the table is very different from what industry guys/gals bring to the table, and they know that and that's why they're paying you. I wouldn't worry about blending in to the specifics of what they're wearing as long as you are not over the top in formality. I feel like chinos and button-down shirts with rolled sleeves would be completely appropriate in your situation.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    I think tucked vs. untucked greatly depends on the situation and what you pair it with. I tuck my polo at work but I mostly wear them with trousers (chambray, linen, etc.) and loafers. If I am wearing more casual chinos or shorts and sneakers, then I definitely leave it untucked. I certainly don't have a six pack but I don't have a gut either. I think I look pretty put together with a tucked polo and trouser combo.

EDIT: I'll also add that I almost always use the BR Luxe polo when tucking and pairing with trousers (although a knit polo might look good as well). They are just a bit more formal. If its a slub or regualar pique polo, I pair it more on the casual side and leave it untucked.

EDIT 2: I always hang dry the BR polos and they don't shrink. If you put them in the dryer they will. (Alright, I'm done...I think)
    Last edited by bassoonguy; June 5th, 2019 at 10:13 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the thoughtful input, guys. Nice to have some options to think through.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    If all the guys were wearing sandals with socks, would you? I mean...that's the culture and you want to fit in, right?

I still say untuck it.

I like the long-sleeve polo with sleeves rolled up suggestion. That's a nice look.