Some ancient petroglyphs:

petro1 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

petro2 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

petro3 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

This thread is all out of chronological order by now, but oh well. When we finished up there, we made our way to the Grand Canyon and made camp for the evening. A pontificator we all know named Joe once described the Grand Canyon to me as being so incredible and unbelievable it genuinely looks like a Hollywood backdrop. It doesn't *LOOK* real....even when you're dangling your AE Higgins Mills off the edge of it. And he's right. Cause I did just that.

IMG_4942 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

IMG_4949 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

IMG_4966 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

IMG_4970 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

IMG_4976 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

IMG_4984 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Coming up next: EDC Las Vegas (the primary reason for the trip itself, although all these stops were planned around taking the maximum amount of leave I could so we could see as much as possible on the way out and back)

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)
    For those unfamiliar with EDC, it's the Electric Daisy Carnival, a 3-night music festival which takes place at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway every May. It used to be in June but with the number of heat injuries they were seeing from people arriving on a wednesday or thursday, not being acclimated to the heat, and not hydrating *NEARLY* as much as they should have been, they moved it to the cooler weather of May. With 8 "main" or primary stages, plus art cars and mobile stages that move around the grounds, carnival games, a bazaar with vendors, food trucks, and of course the glorious Rave Tacos™ it's beyond a spectacle. What's especially amazing, at least to me, is that the general attitude of the 300,000+ strangers is that we're all there for effectively the same reason, so we're all friends. People stop to help each other, you see random people pick up trash they see on the ground, give others a bite of their food or drink of their water, or step out of the way up on the rail (front row at each stage) to let someone else experience it. Basically it's humanity as it should be....people not being dicks to each other. Which as anyone who has ever driven on public roads in Central Maryland (Balt-DC corridor) will tell you, isn't how things are everywhere.

Anyway, on to the photos:

An aerial shot (not my photo, gleaned from the googly machine) of the whole thing:

edc_2015_2_photo_credit_alive_coverage_for_insomni ac by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

This is Cosmic Meadow, one of the major stages. That tiiiiiiiiiiiiny bit of horizontal blue light in the very center of the stage is the actual DJ booth, to give an idea of scale. it's MAHOOOOSSIVE.

IMG_5033 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

IMG_5040 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

IMG_5158 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr
    Last edited by armedferret; June 12th, 2019 at 05:19 AM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)
    If any single stage could be considered "THE main stage" it would be Kinetic Field. Again, the scale really doesn't hit you with photos but I hopefully captured it a bit here:

IMG_5136 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

IMG_4989 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Giuseppe Ottaviani:

IMG_5086 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

One of dozens of active art sculptures at the festival

IMG_5140 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)
    A legend in his own right:

IMG_5107 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

My favorite hairstyle:

IMG_5113 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

And hands down one of my favorite sets of the weekend, Da Tweekaz (hardstyle duo who usually are in my ears in the gym)

IMG_5276 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

And then there's this guy right here. As you can see he's a larger chap, was wearing a kilt, and in charge of ensuring those against the rail were well-hydrated. He was probably even MORE into the music than everyone up at the rail combined; I think this was the *ONLY* time he wasn't bouncing around like a kid who just had a gallon of mountain dew and 37 snickers bars. He is definitely attitude goals, 100%. Plus he wore a kilt to a rave, so I definitely need to sit down and have a beer with him:

IMG_5289 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

I *DID* have the horse mask with me. A young lady *DID* ask to put it on, danced around wearing it, and gave it back. I *DID* get photos of her, but....well, if you've not been to a music festival lately, especially one that's effectively a 3-night rave, the ladies don't tend to wear clothing that's entirely safe for everyone's workplace. So I will not post it directly, but if you look through my album on Flickr you'll see one. (i'd put a winky face emoji here but I'm at my 4 photos per post limit now).

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)
    Then after the party we hightailed it to Yellowstone.

IMG_5354 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

And to cap this postwhoring off, here's a nice photo of some great AE boots that aren't made anymore (Sturgis 2.0) shortly after the firewood was all chopped, prepared, and a little bit of Aurora from Family Business Beer Co. in Austin.

IMG_5353 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr
    Last edited by armedferret; June 11th, 2019 at 08:15 PM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)
    I do think I have a few more photos to go through, of course, and still a SHLOAD from Yellowstone itself. I also visited Truman Boot Company in Boulder (and like a good shoe/boot-whore I totally didn't make it out wallet intact--more on that when they arrive ) and a few other things.

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1364 Post(s)
    Great series of photos. Your images of the Grand Canyon take me back to when we went there on holidays. That was an amazing trip. The canyon is just so HUGE! I didn't realize exactly how big the canyon is/was until we were there. I definitely want to go back. I feel like we didn't see enough of it.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Great series of photos. Your images of the Grand Canyon take me back to when we went there on holidays. That was an amazing trip. The canyon is just so HUGE! I didn't realize exactly how big the canyon is/was until we were there. I definitely want to go back. I feel like we didn't see enough of it.
    Thanks man.

It definitely provides perspective. About a great many things.