Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Days where you're "not feeling it sartorially" - happen to you?

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1435 Post(s)

Days where you're "not feeling it sartorially" - happen to you?

This morning I couldn't for the life of me put an outfit together. No matter what I put on, I felt I couldn't match my shirt to my pants. Or my socks to my pants. Or whatever.

I ended up leaving the house not liking what I was wearing but I had a bus to catch. So now I'm all discombobulated at work, not feeling comfortable and it feels as though my whole day is off.

My wife thought I looked good. But for me, I'm not feeling good sartorially today.

Any of you guys go through this? And if it does happen, what's your solution to find an outfit that you do like?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    Of course, I'd imagine happens also through phases of our lives where it may not be the priority it always was. To get through it for formal wear, to combat it I try to lay out my outfit the night before. It just makes it easier to start the day and not worry about it. Suit or sport coat, Shirt, pants, tie, under shirt, under wear, and socks all get laid out.

I think what helps me not think about it too much is even if I am 50% of my best, I am still dressed better than most in my office. It's amazing what people wear to work for the government once outside downtown DC.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2073 Post(s)
    I’m more likely to be unsatisfied with my outfit when I’m putting it together, while getting dressed, in a rush in bleary early morning hours, versus when I have the forethought to put an outfit together and look at the items all hung up next to each other before putting them on the next morning.
    Ben

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Tends to happen to me most when Iím already not feeling comfortable in my own skin for whatever reason - usually due to weight issues. Then I feel like nothing fits right or falls right or drapes right and I phone it in because Iím frustrated and think itís all going to look like poo anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    158 Post(s)
    Yes, but the likelihood of such a day is directly proportional to the length of time since I last pulled out my iron...

Before I wore a full suit to work (court-ready everyday in a job where I've been to court perhaps 10 times in the last year), I often used a tie, or something extra to help if I was exhausted or overwhelmed at work.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    This morning I couldn't for the life of me put an outfit together. No matter what I put on, I felt I couldn't match my shirt to my pants. Or my socks to my pants. Or whatever.

I ended up leaving the house not liking what I was wearing but I had a bus to catch. So now I'm all discombobulated at work, not feeling comfortable and it feels as though my whole day is off.

My wife thought I looked good. But for me, I'm not feeling good sartorially today.

Any of you guys go through this? And if it does happen, what's your solution to find an outfit that you do like?
    yeah, it happens. When I was going to the office I definelty had a uniform though. No thought really went into it other than setting my shirt rotation and begin sure everything was clean. Shirt A goes with pants 1, 2, 3. Shit b goes with pants 1, 4, and 5. That kind of thing. I see those people very day, I am not going to wow them with a fresh look unless I buy new clothes. That is, assuming they even care.

But ont he off the clock side I have some tried and true combos I fall back on in those cases.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    It happens when I try a new combo, wear something I havent seen in awhile, or attempt a monochromatic look I havent tried before. It seems great in my head; then it goes over the top, doesnt fit like I remember, or the colors blend weird and I end up feeling uncomfortable.

Overall pretty rare because I've tried to build my wardrobe so that everything goes with everything else. Having a bit of a uniform helps too.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    264 Post(s)
    Occasionally when I try new color combinations, it doesnít work out like I thought it would. It doesnít really bother me. I recognize that I am still better dressed than 90% of the people I see daily, so I still maintain my confidence. Maybe I am an outlier (or an arrogant prick).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)
    helps to have a go-to combo

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    638 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    helps to have a go-to combo
    THIS is what i was going to come in and say.

i have maybe 5 kind of boring but useful outfits (knaki chinos, blue oxford sort of things) i can just pull out whenever. I have a large number of both garments so it's easy to do it on days at work when i have tons more going on than i want to deal with.