Thread: Bag check for London

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

Bag check for London

The subject line is not me wondering whether or not I should check a bag for London. I want to make sure the clothes I put in my bag are appropriate, so I want y'all to check the contents.

I'm going for a week in early August. I'm hoping that means there will be minimal rain and maybe even some sunshine. From what I've read, I understand that layering is pretty important, as mid-50s in the morning can give way to mid-70s in the afternoon.

So here's the list:

2-3 pairs of Core Temp chinos, maybe swap one of those for some traveler-type five-pockets.

an appropriate amount of long sleeve shirts, maybe some with tech fabric. And when I say "tech fabric", I mean more like Core Temp, not so much Under Armour. As Nate Bargatze says, my mid-40s dad bod looks better without an Under Armour shirt on, than with it on!

I have a quarter lined S&M wool blazer (the Angelico bright blue) that I'm considering or I could get a cotton blazer. I know in the "London: Yes/No" thread from a while back, cotton was the recommended choice.

I drank the Kool-Aid on merino socks, so I'll bring plenty of those.

I figure I'll do quite a bit of walking, so I'm in the market for some decent desert boots that aren't Clarks blobs. No disrespect to those that like 'em, but I had those for a while and, on my 9C feet, they look like clown shoes.

Here are my questions:

- should I bring a lightweight mac, like maybe the one from Banana? Or can I get by with my regular clothes and a small umbrella? I would prefer to save luggage weight and minimize the amount of stuff I have to have on my person at any given time and that might be one way to do it.

- would suede shoes/boots, even with AE waterproofer, be a bad idea, given the high likelihood of rain and street schmutz I'll be walking through?

I know I'm overthinking this, but why else would we all be on this site?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    That list basically looks fine and should fit into a carry on roll aboard no problem. Your list is close to what I take on multi-day cross country trips at least once per month. I took a pair of suede JCrew desert boots to Italy last spring and never wore my other shoes. You could always get a pair of chukkas in, say, waxy brown leather if you are worried about getting them dirty. A lightweight mac would be good - and will fit fine into a roll aboard. I would also suggest a Harrington of some kind - original Baracutas are nice but expensive even on sale, but there are others out there.
    Mark

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    If you plan on doing anything related to "official business" (not governmental necessarily, just any sort of business dealings/meetings/etc) you'll need a suit and black cap-toe oxfords. Brits are extremely formal in that regard and the black cap-toe is the only socially-acceptable option.

Of course barring that, it all looks swell to me.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    If you plan on doing anything related to "official business" (not governmental necessarily, just any sort of business dealings/meetings/etc) you'll need a suit and black cap-toe oxfords. Brits are extremely formal in that regard and the black cap-toe is the only socially-acceptable option.

Of course barring that, it all looks swell to me.
    Hey--I was surprised about this. So, I googled it, and found this among other things (confirming what you wrote):

Blazers are considered casual clothing and should not be worn in a business setting in the UK. Before attending a formal event, men should inquire about which type of suit is most appropriate. Avoid wearing striped ties that resemble any British regimentals.
    (Emphasize added)

https://llminfo.com/uk-business-etiquette-dress-code/

Maybe I should move there.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    This is really true only in conservative industries in the UK - but it is definitely true in them (finance, accounting, law, politics, some public sector). My friends who work in the City [capital C] sometimes don't even own brown shoes, and I don't think any of them own burgundy shoes. But in more creative industries, you can definitely wear brown shoes in London. By the way, tan shoes - akin to AE's walnut - are very popular for casual wear in the UK. You'll see men wearing them all over the city [lower case c] on days off or when shopping or going out with friends, etc.

Brits seem to me to favor navy suits over charcoal, and when they do wear charcoal it is dark charcoal - more black than grey. My wife calls it heather black. By contrast, navies can be a little lighter than in the US - more dark blue than black.

(I'm from the UK but have lived in the USA since 2005. I visit my parents and siblings every year, though).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Thanks to all for your replies. I am going purely for pleasure, so there's no need to worry about dress clothes. Good reco on the jacket, thanks! Although, if I'm being quite honest, I've never been a fan of Harringtons. They look like the snobby relative of Members Only jackets. I suppose I should post that opinion to the "Style things that you're supposed to love, but actually hate" thread.

I probably just got banned for that comment, didn't I? ; )

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    I didn't know these things about London. Very interesting. Cool stuff.