Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you are supposed to love... But do not

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

Things you are supposed to love... But do not

Hey guys, just thought I would bring up a thread where people can list some of the menswear things that we are supposed to love but do not. These can be things that either modern fashion tells you to love or that classic menswear tells you to love. I will get it started.

Classic menswear:

1. Shell cordovan shoes - They are just not for me. Much more expensive than typical leather and I just do not like the look of them myself. I am sure the durability is phenomenal, but they just do not justify the extra cost for me. Sold my only pair that I never wore.

2. Grenadine ties - These may look great, but they so easily get snags. This may not bother some, but it does bother me. I even had some high end makers of these but did not wear them as much as I should have. I much prefer shantung or even grenadine-shantung where they are not supposed to look 100% clean and so small defects are better hidden.

Modern Fashion:
    1. Elastic leg opening high water pants - just not for me. Too feminine looking IMO. I know others may disagree which is fine.

Anyways, what are all of your classic and modern dislikes?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Skinny pants look like you borrowed from your little sister's wardrobe

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    1) Tie bars
    2) Rolled up cuffs on jeans or chinos (or any other pants)

I've tried both and didn't really care for either.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    Desert boots-the silhouette is just too bulbous for me.

Technical fabrics-the shine, the swish

Stretch anything-I’ve tried. I feel that if things fit correctly, there is no need for stretch.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    231 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post
    Desert boots-the silhouette is just too bulbous for me.

Technical fabrics-the shine, the swish

Stretch anything-I’ve tried. I feel that if things fit correctly, there is no need for stretch.
    First point of yours - boooooooo. Yeah, they're bulbous, but they're like that for comfort

Second point of yours - couldn't agree more. That said, newer better ones don't swish.

Third point - did you try good stretch jeans? It isn't about correcting fit. It's about upgrading comfort from that of well fitting jeans to that of a well worn soft pair of pajamas. I always thought stretch stuff was dumb too (and I still think most of it is dumb), but my first pair of BR rapid movement jeans was life changing. They're orders of magnitude more comfortable than any normal jean or chino.

Just my $0.02

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    231 Post(s)
    As for my actual answers:

1. Ties. Yeah, they look nice, but I don't like the feel of things around my neck. A closed collar and tie is just not comfortable, and yes, I have properly fitting shirts that are not tight around the neck.

2. Pants designed to be worn above the belly button. So many igents think they look good with these. In actuality, they look like Erkel.

3. Jodphur boots. Nice village people costume bro 👌

4. Suitsupply. Knock it off with the surgeons cuffs already.

5. The way that dappered sometimes pushes the idea that fashion watches are ok. No, they aren't, because they make you look like an ignoramus to anyone into watches at all. Don't want to spend a lot? That's totally fine (and probably smart), just stick to seiko, citizen, orient, timex (or maybe bulova) and now you won't look like an ignoramus, all while spending no more than a fashion watch. This isn't about looks or snobbery - it's about the very real possibility of giving a bad first impression.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    First point of yours - boooooooo. Yeah, they're bulbous, but they're like that for comfort

Second point of yours - couldn't agree more. That said, newer better ones don't swish.

Third point - did you try good stretch jeans? It isn't about correcting fit. It's about upgrading comfort from that of well fitting jeans to that of a well worn soft pair of pajamas. I always thought stretch stuff was dumb too (and I still think most of it is dumb), but my first pair of BR rapid movement jeans was life changing. They're orders of magnitude more comfortable than any normal jean or chino.

Just my $0.02
    I tried the Rapid Movement jeans at BR. I don’t know if it’s the stretch or the fit, but the zipper bulges out at the bottom. I have tried their normal jeans and this didn’t happen. I also own a pair of Levi’s Made and Crafted with stretch. They breath even less than my normal jeans. They also stretch out and I have to wash them to return to shape. My broken in Gustin are just as comfortable to me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)
    Echoing a few others:

1) "Tech" and "Performance" fabric clothing. This excludes underwear and workout clothes (wearing a pair of bamboo underwear as I type). I feel like this trend is a way for companies to use low cist cloth and still charge a hefty premium (e.g. Mizzen & Main charging $125+ for a 100% synthetic shirt).

2) High waisted pants. I get not wanting low rise, but mid-rise is just fine. Some dudes are asking for pants cut above the belly button just because they saw some dandy on Instagram do it.

3) Side tabs. I have two pair with side tabs, and they're fine. I don't feel like every pair I own needs to have them.

4) Suspenders. I think this might be one of the most overrated men's fashion choice. Even worse is when dudes on the internet intentionally call them "bracers" specifically to sound more sophisticated.

The 2 through 4 are usually favored by guys trying too hard to look cool on the internet or guys that easily fall into group think. They want costumes, not clothing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    This is going to run counter to a lot of folks here but I really don’t like wearing suits. Thankfully I rarely have to wear one. My office went full time casual a few years ago. These days I only wear a suit if I absolutely have to.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    231 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post
    I tried the Rapid Movement jeans at BR. I don’t know if it’s the stretch or the fit, but the zipper bulges out at the bottom. I have tried their normal jeans and this didn’t happen. I also own a pair of Levi’s Made and Crafted with stretch. They breath even less than my normal jeans. They also stretch out and I have to wash them to return to shape. My broken in Gustin are just as comfortable to me.
    Must have been a fit idiosyncracy for your specific body; I have never had that issue. Go figure.

I have never tried the Levi's made and crafted, but I'm certainly not excited to to based on your review.

One comment I'll offer on stretch is that it doesn't seem to work out as well in chinos as I think it does in jeans. Even cheap but properly done (looks normal, drapes normal) stretch jeans, like JCF, are comfort enhancers. However, with chinos, even the good stuff doesn't seem to change much. I have the BR rapid movement chinos; the fit and the length are bang on perfect for me, which means I'll be buying more for those reasons, but I don't really find them any more comfortable than normal chinos.

So, instead of arguing with you, I'll add my own lack of love for stretch chinos. Just not feeling the point. If they don't enhance comfort, why bother?