Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Things you are supposed to love... But do not

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    One of my favorite threads in a while! Here’s my list:

1) Monk straps. Whenever I see them, I think that another shoe would’ve been a better choice. Oxford, derby, or loafer...but rarely (if at all) the monk.

2) Huge lapels. I know this is the “in” thing on the interwebs, but I think it looks either super costumy or super 70s most of the time.

3) Loafers/Dress shoes with no socks, when worn with a jacket. It just looks incongruent to me. It’s so warm that no socks are needed, but you in a formal enough setting that a jacket is?

Hot takes, I know...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mochi123 View Post
    I definitely agree with you on first one. I'm young enough to be open to new trends, and although I think I am, I just cannot open up to full tech clothing. I do like stretchy material, especially for pants, so I'm slowly following, but I am not a big fan of clothes that feel like plastic bags, and often just as thin and flimsy too.
    I'm cool with a little bit of stretch. I just don't like the fully synthetic dress shirts and chinos that get sold at ridiculous prices.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piperty View Post

1) Monk straps. Whenever I see them, I think that another shoe would’ve been a better choice. Oxford, derby, or loafer...but rarely (if at all) the monk.

2) Huge lapels. I know this is the “in” thing on the interwebs, but I think it looks either super costumy or super 70s most of the time.

3) Loafers/Dress shoes with no socks, when worn with a jacket. It just looks incongruent to me. It’s so warm that no socks are needed, but you in a formal enough setting that a jacket is?

Hot takes, I know...
    Define huge. I might agree with that. 3 to 3.5 inch lapels are timeless in my opinion. Online men's fashion tends to not know when to stop though, so I feel you there. It feels like some people want pants up to their nipples (with suspenders added) and lapels past their shoulders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I’ve seen some lapels that either touch the shoulder seam or are clearly visible past the shoulder “horizon”. 3.5 is good. Much past that takes some bravado.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    I don't see the big deal between 2.5", 3.5", or 4.5" lapels aside from wearing a different tie to balance it out.

I feel like clothing manufacturers keep coming up with a new lapel size and telling us that this is "the new thing" even though they have been messing with this for at least a century.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piperty View Post

Hot takes, I know...
    I hadn't really noticed the "huge" lapels but I suppose its just a natural swing back from the super skinny lapels of the mid 2010s.

As for the loafers point, there might be some people who think that being in public is "formal enough" to require a jacket. This is what linen and summer weight jackets are for. (I agree with you on the dress shoe front though, that's just weird.)

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1458 Post(s)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mochi123 View Post
    I definitely agree with you on first one. I'm young enough to be open to new trends, and although I think I am, I just cannot open up to full tech clothing. I do like stretchy material, especially for pants, so I'm slowly following, but I am not a big fan of clothes that feel like plastic bags, and often just as thin and flimsy too.
    I like stretch when they use to enhance comfort but otherwise leave the garment feeling and looking normal. When they make something that doesn't look and feel normal, I don't like it.

I've recently tried the BR stretch dress shirts. They do it like their jeans and chinos - they leave the shirt feeling and looking just like any other dress shirt. I am sad to report that like the chinos (but unlike the jeans), the difference in comfort is marginal. They need to figure out how to do the others as well as they do the jeans.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    476 Post(s)
    Henleys.

I hate em.

Whew that feels better.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    Henleys.

I hate em.

Whew that feels better.
    I'm curious. Why? Is it the fit on you, or the look in general?