Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you are supposed to love... But do not

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    Shirt pattern, fabric and, color. Same for pocket square. Also, suit pattern, fabric, and color. I'm not sure if a lapel pin would make any difference. If there is something to it and it looks on purpose, I think it looks okay.
    This, as well as shoes. Great time for suede, or spectators, or chelsea boots.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1114 Post(s)
    Polos

Monk straps

Chelsea boots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    Dress shoes. I don’t hate them but don’t love them or lust over expensive models like I do with suits, watches etc.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Add my name to those who mentioned chelsea boots and monk straps. Also inexpensive automatic watches.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Dress shoes. I don’t hate them but don’t love them or lust over expensive models like I do with suits, watches etc.
    I feel similar - I mean, I like a nice pair of shoes but I've just never gotten into anything more expensive than on-sale AEs. A big part of this may be that fit is so critical to shoes, shoe break-in (or lack thereof) can be so unpredictable, and there is nowhere around me to try on expensive shoes in-store. If I bought a really nice pair and wore them for a bit and decided I didn't like them, a pair of shoes loses a lot more of its value and has a lot smaller resale market than something like an expensive watch.

Plus so many "nice" shoes come with leather soles and leather soled shoes are just not practical here where I'm walking on ice, snow, slush, or mud 9 months out of the year. The options seem to get pretty limited when Dainite/Vibram/etc is a requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftToole View Post
    Also inexpensive automatic watches.
    My enthusiasm for inexpensive automatics has cooled over the years. I've had too many that have exhibited issues that range from merely annoying to those that render the watch nonfunctional. Including watches from "reliable" brands like Seiko, Hamilton, even Oris and Omega. Aside from my big Rolex purchases, my most recent pick-ups are a quartz TAG Aquaracer and a Garmin Instinct GPS/smartwatch.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    265 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftToole View Post
    Add my name to those who mentioned chelsea boots and monk straps. Also inexpensive automatic watches.
    +2.!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post

My enthusiasm for inexpensive automatics has cooled over the years. I've had too many that have exhibited issues that range from merely annoying to those that render the watch nonfunctional. Including watches from "reliable" brands like Seiko, Hamilton, even Oris and Omega. Aside from my big Rolex purchases, my most recent pick-ups are a quartz TAG Aquaracer and a Garmin Instinct GPS/smartwatch.
    I can handle minor flaws if the cost is acceptable and its only an occasional wear. Although having said that, I dont really dip into the super affordable auto market anymore.

I just ordered an Instinct too. They dropped to $250 this weekend and I had to snag that.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)
    This is my "[Dappered.com] things you are supposed to love but don't":

1. Cardigans
    2. The color of BR core temp chinos (seriously, not a single good one. J Crew and Bonobos have great colors).
    3. Lands End (I used to order stuff, but now it's hard for me to want anything from this seemingly dying, old-person-clothes company)
    4. Semi-affordable watches that aren't Japanese (Timex, Tissot, Hamilton....either go Japanese seiko/citizen/orient or buy a nice Omega/Rolex/Tudor/Nomos...)
    5. Semi-affordable dress shoes (maybe AE made be a snob, but the idea of getting shoes at DSW is a definite no-go)

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aręte View Post
    This is my "[Dappered.com] things you are supposed to love but don't":

1. Cardigans
    2. The color of BR core temp chinos (seriously, not a single good one. J Crew and Bonobos have great colors).
    3. Lands End (I used to order stuff, but now it's hard for me to want anything from this seemingly dying, old-person-clothes company)
    4. Semi-affordable watches that aren't Japanese (Timex, Tissot, Hamilton....either go Japanese seiko/citizen/orient or buy a nice Omega/Rolex/Tudor/Nomos...)
    5. Semi-affordable dress shoes (maybe AE made be a snob, but the idea of getting shoes at DSW is a definite no-go)
    lol...you hate me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by batkins9 View Post
    Echoing a few others:

1) "Tech" and "Performance" fabric clothing. This excludes underwear and workout clothes (wearing a pair of bamboo underwear as I type). I feel like this trend is a way for companies to use low cist cloth and still charge a hefty premium (e.g. Mizzen & Main charging $125+ for a 100% synthetic shirt).

2) High waisted pants. I get not wanting low rise, but mid-rise is just fine. Some dudes are asking for pants cut above the belly button just because they saw some dandy on Instagram do it.

3) Side tabs. I have two pair with side tabs, and they're fine. I don't feel like every pair I own needs to have them.

4) Suspenders. I think this might be one of the most overrated men's fashion choice. Even worse is when dudes on the internet intentionally call them "bracers" specifically to sound more sophisticated.

The 2 through 4 are usually favored by guys trying too hard to look cool on the internet or guys that easily fall into group think. They want costumes, not clothing.
    I definitely agree with you on first one. I'm young enough to be open to new trends, and although I think I am, I just cannot open up to full tech clothing. I do like stretchy material, especially for pants, so I'm slowly following, but I am not a big fan of clothes that feel like plastic bags, and often just as thin and flimsy too.