Thread: Things you are supposed to love... But do not

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by batkins9 View Post
    Echoing a few others:

1) "Tech" and "Performance" fabric clothing. This excludes underwear and workout clothes (wearing a pair of bamboo underwear as I type). I feel like this trend is a way for companies to use low cist cloth and still charge a hefty premium (e.g. Mizzen & Main charging $125+ for a 100% synthetic shirt).

2) High waisted pants. I get not wanting low rise, but mid-rise is just fine. Some dudes are asking for pants cut above the belly button just because they saw some dandy on Instagram do it.

3) Side tabs. I have two pair with side tabs, and they're fine. I don't feel like every pair I own needs to have them.

4) Suspenders. I think this might be one of the most overrated men's fashion choice. Even worse is when dudes on the internet intentionally call them "bracers" specifically to sound more sophisticated.

The 2 through 4 are usually favored by guys trying too hard to look cool on the internet or guys that easily fall into group think. They want costumes, not clothing.
    Regarding suspenders, I do think they serve a real purpose for rounder gentleman - actually holding their pants up, which belts seem to not do properly. The term "braces" is what Brits call them. If Americans use that term, it sounds a bit pompous, but if it's a Brit using it, forgive him/her as they are just using their usual word for it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Regarding suspenders, I do think they serve a real purpose for rounder gentleman - actually holding their pants up, which belts seem to not do properly. The term "braces" is what Brits call them. If Americans use that term, it sounds a bit pompous, but if it's a Brit using it, forgive him/her as they are just using their usual word for it.
    I'm not saying they don't serve a purpose, an argument can be made that everything on my list serves a purpose. I'm just not a fan. As to terminology, I know that bracers is the correct term in England. I'm not referring to those folks. Non-Brits that say bracers are same as non-Brits that say "arse."

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)
    Things I am “supposed” to like but do not: Elastane in chinos or jeans. Stretch is great for technical wear - but I DO NOT like rubber in my cotton clothing.

BTW - If you like anything that anyone has listed here as something they don’t like: great. I am glad for you. Enjoy. Your mileage may vary. Please just let us have our opinions without trying to talk us out of them.... thanks.
    Mark

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Chelsea boots. Not at all my jam.

Chuck Taylor’s. Maybe not a “thing” here. But I’ve tried many times. Just also not my jam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    382 Post(s)
    Suit with no tie without any additional panache to the look.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to love this, but it seems like other men love it enough to do it regularly. The worst is the plain white shirt and navy suit with no tie. You know what would look good with that? A tie.

I don't hate this if it's a patterned shirt with a yellow pocket square or something interesting. I just don't like that Prince Harry look.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1360 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    Suit with no tie without any additional panache to the look.
    What do you suggest for additional panache? Just a different shirt colour? Or a shirt with a pattern? And does the suit jacket need to include a pocket square? What about a lapel pin?

Not criticizing, just looking for input/ideas. Thanks.

Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2030 Post(s)
    I really do not like the suit sans tie look. To me it just looks like you forgot something. And I can't think of any context where I feel a suit would be appropriate, yet wearing no tie would not be considered inappropriate.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    382 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    What do you suggest for additional panache? Just a different shirt colour? Or a shirt with a pattern? And does the suit jacket need to include a pocket square? What about a lapel pin?

Not criticizing, just looking for input/ideas. Thanks.
    Shirt pattern, fabric and, color. Same for pocket square. Also, suit pattern, fabric, and color. I'm not sure if a lapel pin would make any difference. If there is something to it and it looks on purpose, I think it looks okay.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Going to go counter to the last few comments here and say I feel like ties are just downright dumb. It's a piece of clothing that serves no function other than to make me more uncomfortable. They can look ok, and I don't begrudge people that enjoy them, but I never wear them unless I am going to something that a tie is the expectation. Ties worn under a sweater perhaps are the most confusing thing to me in men's fashion - all of the discomfort with barely any of the look. Hard pass.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I really do not like the suit sans tie look. To me it just looks like you forgot something. And I can't think of any context where I feel a suit would be appropriate, yet wearing no tie would not be considered inappropriate.
    Suit without a tie is appropriate in the same situations where slacks and a sport coat without a tie is appropriate. Pretty much any business casual (higher end thereof) environment.