Thread: Fashionbeans article on best sunglasses in film

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)

Fashionbeans article on best sunglasses in film

I thought this article was pretty good with one glaring omission - the American Optical original Pilot which were featured in both Apocalypse Now and were all over The Right Stuff. I guess neither movie generated a real fashion craze for them but I'm guessing there are a bunch of other films that feature these or the Randolph Engineering version which is pretty much indistinguishable. Maybe they didn't pick them because there's not just one film they're indelibly linked to. As for Clubmasters...yes they were all over Reservoir Dogs but Crash Davis wore them better in Bull Durham. The Dude's sunglasses abide.
    https://www.fashionbeans.com/article...s-from-movies/
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1038 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    I thought this article was pretty good with one glaring omission - the American Optical original Pilot which were featured in both Apocalypse Now and were all over The Right Stuff. I guess neither movie generated a real fashion craze for them but I'm guessing there are a bunch of other films that feature these or the Randolph Engineering version which is pretty much indistinguishable. Maybe they didn't pick them because there's not just one film they're indelibly linked to. As for Clubmasters...yes they were all over Reservoir Dogs but Crash Davis wore them better in Bull Durham. The Dude's sunglasses abide.
    https://www.fashionbeans.com/article...s-from-movies/
    Fun article. Crash might have worn them well but I dont think many people think of sunglasses when they think of Bull Durham. I think backwards hat and bomber/varsity jacket. When you say apocolapyse now, I do think of everyone running around in those squared off aviators though. thats a good call. I did take exception to the flip up sunglasses being linked to anyone but Dwayne Wayne.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    65 Post(s)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Everything Jude Law wore in The Talented Mr. Ripley was pretty much impeccable. I've been searching for that polo collar vertical stripe short sleeved sweater he wore (either pool or) oceanside for years with no luck.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Did they make a Different World movie? Yes, Crash wore an authentic A-1 bomber in Bull Durham.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1038 Post(s)
    Did they make a Different World movie? Yes, Crash wore an authentic A-1 bomber in Bull Durham.
    nah, no movie. But some icons transcend rules.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1346 Post(s)
    Everything Jude Law wore in The Talented Mr. Ripley was pretty much impeccable. I've been searching for that polo collar vertical stripe short sleeved sweater he wore (either pool or) oceanside for years with no luck.
    Yeah, I agree with this. He was very well dressed in that movie.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    2 others

Oliver Peoples 523 https://www.sunglassesid.com/sightin...itt-fight-club

Anything Bond, but I am partial to the Persol 2672 and 2720 https://theidleman.com/blogs/news/james-bond-sunglasses

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Any guesses as to what those brown Cary Grant glasses could be? I know Oliver Peoples makes a Cary Grant sunglasses, but they're a bit out of my budget

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rd27 View Post
    Any guesses as to what those brown Cary Grant glasses could be? I know Oliver Peoples makes a Cary Grant sunglasses, but they're a bit out of my budget
    It mentions in the article people cannot definitively trace the Cary Grant ones. I would bet Warby Parker has an homage, but their glasses are kinda cheap feeling.