Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: What Subscriptions Do You Pay For?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,787
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1065 Post(s)

    What Subscriptions Do You Pay For?

    I tend to read a lot of linked articles from various financial blogs which invariably leads me to the Wall St Journal. I am not a subscriber but think I end up on the website enough to possibly be worth a subscription. It looks to be $15.60 if I signup for a year which had me question myself, do I get that much value out of the WSJ?

    This then lead me to started a thread and wondering what everyone here pays to subscribe to. I will make a list as it is rather short.

    1. Peter Attia MD Podcast - Show notes and other items are only included for paid subscribers. $10/mo
    2. Waking Up App - Mediation app. $59/year

    From a paid content perspective, that is it unless you count Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime. I assume some of these may offer some sort of content other than video? Does anyone do YouTube Red or something else? This may push me over the edge to getting a WSJ subscription. In the past I have done the $1 for 2 months deal.

  2. #2
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,245
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    1. Spotify
    2. 401k rebalancing service
    3. HVAC maintenance contract
    4. Amazon Prime

  3. #3
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    292
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Probably too many, but I just dumped DirecTV Now because it went from $10/month with my AT&T Unlimited plan to $25, so once GoT ended, I was done with it. Typing this all out, I could definitely trim this down some.

    1. WSJ ($38/month now that I'm done with my intro rate...ugh...you used to be able to cancel for a few months, and then come back for $100/year, but that seems to have gone by the wayside)
    2. Amazon Prime ($10/month, completely worth it to me)
    3. ROMWod, a daily stretching/mobility app ($14/month, now that my gym has it, considering canceling it and making myself do the daily routine there)
    4. The Athletic, sports news/feature writing ($3.50/month)
    5. Proceedings, U.S. Naval Institute magazine ($5/month)
    6. National Review ($4/month)
    7. YouTube TV (now $50/month...cheaper than cable, but it used to be a great deal at $35/month)
    8. Netflix ($11/month)
    9. Meal delivery service ($125/week for 10 meals, but I only use this if I know I'm going to be out of town over the weekend and not be able to grocery shop and food prep, or if I'm going to have a crazy week and need the ease and speed)

  4. #4
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,245
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burban View Post
    Probably too many, but I just dumped DirecTV Now because it went from $10/month with my AT&T Unlimited plan to $25, so once GoT ended, I was done with it. Typing this all out, I could definitely trim this down some.

    1. WSJ ($38/month now that I'm done with my intro rate...ugh...you used to be able to cancel for a few months, and then come back for $100/year, but that seems to have gone by the wayside)
    2. Amazon Prime ($10/month, completely worth it to me)
    3. ROMWod, a daily stretching/mobility app ($14/month, now that my gym has it, considering canceling it and making myself do the daily routine there)
    4. The Athletic, sports news/feature writing ($3.50/month)
    5. Proceedings, U.S. Naval Institute magazine ($5/month)
    6. National Review ($4/month)
    7. YouTube TV (now $50/month...cheaper than cable, but it used to be a great deal at $35/month)
    8. Netflix ($11/month)
    9. Meal delivery service ($125/week for 10 meals, but I only use this if I know I'm going to be out of town over the weekend and not be able to grocery shop and food prep, or if I'm going to have a crazy week and need the ease and speed)
    Which meal delivery do you use? Can you choose the macros? I've gone back and forth on one of these ... seems once shipping gets factored in they are hard to justify.

  5. #5
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    292
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Which meal delivery do you use? Can you choose the macros? I've gone back and forth on one of these ... seems once shipping gets factored in they are hard to justify.
    I use Origin Meals,which used to be called Cinderella Paleo. You can't pick macros specifically, but you can do either balance (which includes some grains), paleo, or keto. They just announced today that they'll allow you to make ala carte meal selections, as up to now you just get what you get for the week, absent any particular ingredients you don't want (mushrooms for me).

    They deliver to a lot of local gyms like Crossfit, 9 Round, Fit36, that sort of thing. I do regular-size 10 meals per week, which gives me two meals at work, and i make my own breakfast and dinner (though I often skip breakfast), and it's $125, so $12.50 per meal. A bit pricey, but when I need the convenience for the week, it's worth it to me. It's far healthier than if I end up eating out multiple times during the week, and cheaper than anything this side of Subway or worse, fast food.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,787
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1065 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burban View Post
    Probably too many, but I just dumped DirecTV Now because it went from $10/month with my AT&T Unlimited plan to $25, so once GoT ended, I was done with it. Typing this all out, I could definitely trim this down some.

    1. WSJ ($38/month now that I'm done with my intro rate...ugh...you used to be able to cancel for a few months, and then come back for $100/year, but that seems to have gone by the wayside)
    2. Amazon Prime ($10/month, completely worth it to me)
    3. ROMWod, a daily stretching/mobility app ($14/month, now that my gym has it, considering canceling it and making myself do the daily routine there)
    4. The Athletic, sports news/feature writing ($3.50/month)
    5. Proceedings, U.S. Naval Institute magazine ($5/month)
    6. National Review ($4/month)
    7. YouTube TV (now $50/month...cheaper than cable, but it used to be a great deal at $35/month)
    8. Netflix ($11/month)
    9. Meal delivery service ($125/week for 10 meals, but I only use this if I know I'm going to be out of town over the weekend and not be able to grocery shop and food prep, or if I'm going to have a crazy week and need the ease and speed)
    I do YouTube TV when there is a big sports event. For instance, I bought it for the World Cup last year. Rough to hear it went up to $50 per month but competitors are coming into this market. Also, that ROM app is interesting. I have been thinking of working on mobility as I feel bad I cannot squat down without losing my balance sometimes...

  7. #7
    Super Moderator DocDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    3,784
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1435 Post(s)
    I hate HATE the idea of being locked in to a subscription. I do my best to keep things to a minimum, so my list will be pretty dull.

    1. Apple Music.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,649
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1110 Post(s)
    Spotify
    Hulu
    Netflix
    Amazon Prime

    But i dont have cable and none of those have contract obligations so I am cool with it. Does child support count? If so you can add fatherhood.

  9. #9
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    Spotify
    Hulu
    Netflix
    Amazon Prime

    But i dont have cable and none of those have contract obligations so I am cool with it. Does child support count? If so you can add fatherhood.
    Spotify told me about a month ago that their subscription includes Hulu. I get the impression that Hulu memberships are tiered and this was for the lowest tier, which basically works as an on-demand streaming service like Netflix or Amazon Prime and it included Hulu original series but the other content was pretty limited. I've read that Hulu also offers a more or less live cable TV replacement service. At present I'm using DirecTV Now as that since I cut the cable cord 6 months or so ago. I lost Hulu access when we converted to the Spotify family plan so my wife could start using Spotify - not sure why an individual membership would include Hulu but a family membership would not but there you are.

    I'm only a subscriber to DirecTV Now, Spotify and Amazon Prime at present.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

  10. #10
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,649
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    Spotify told me about a month ago that their subscription includes Hulu. I get the impression that Hulu memberships are tiered and this was for the lowest tier, which basically works as an on-demand streaming service like Netflix or Amazon Prime and it included Hulu original series but the other content was pretty limited. I've read that Hulu also offers a more or less live cable TV replacement service. At present I'm using DirecTV Now as that since I cut the cable cord 6 months or so ago. I lost Hulu access when we converted to the Spotify family plan so my wife could start using Spotify - not sure why an individual membership would include Hulu but a family membership would not but there you are.

    I'm only a subscriber to DirecTV Now, Spotify and Amazon Prime at present.
    Yeah, the combo is first tier Hulu and single spotify. I do the commercial free Hulu and Spotify family.

    I use Hulu a lot for viewing the standard network shoes. Stuff posts a day or two after it airs. Its how i get to watch all the ABC/CBS/NBC type stuff. Some of the Hulu Originals are good too. Also, the movie content changes all the time. I swear they do themes. One day a ton of Stephen King movies popped up. Stayed on for a month or so then dropped off.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •