Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another what to wear thread

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)

Another what to wear thread

What to wear to an outdoor commencement ceremony in the quad on the bay at 8am in Florida at a small liberal arts college were the students default attire includes board shorts and bikinis? So far I am opting for lightweight chinos, a button up shirt and boat shoes. I am taking my Navy blaver just in case but probably won't wear it. I mean...after the ceremonial cap tops all of the students are ditching the gowns and jumping off the dock into the bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    225 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    What to wear to an outdoor commencement ceremony in the quad on the bay at 8am in Florida at a small liberal arts college were the students default attire includes board shorts and bikinis? So far I am opting for lightweight chinos, a button up shirt and boat shoes. I am taking my Navy blaver just in case but probably won't wear it. I mean...after the ceremonial cap tops all of the students are ditching the gowns and jumping off the dock into the bay.

What is your role there and how old are you? Need more info.

Are you 50 and you're there to watch your kid/nephew/neice/young relative? Are you a professor? Are you a student yourself?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    That sounds perfect regardless of your age and position.

I would tend to tie and jacket but I think if its is going to be humid and above 80 there's no need. You'll almost certainly be better dressed than most of the rest of the men who will likely be wearing "nice" technical polos.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    I am 40 and the parent of a graduate. It will be 80 and humid. There will be shade but that doesn't always help. A tie isn't going to happen but I am thinking my chinos and the Navy blazer with either a solid linen blend shirt or a paisley patterned shirt.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    225 Post(s)
    I am 40 and the parent of a graduate. It will be 80 and humid. There will be shade but that doesn't always help. A tie isn't going to happen but I am thinking my chinos and the Navy blazer with either a solid linen blend shirt or a paisley patterned shirt.

Happen to have an unlined blazer? Perfect time for it.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Happen to have an unlined blazer? Perfect time for it.
    I wish, but no. If I can find a JCrew around I may just go buy one. Good excuse.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    225 Post(s)
    I wish, but no. If I can find a JCrew around I may just go buy one. Good excuse.

They are currently 35% off online. Mine in "deep water" is probably my most worn warmer month item.

Comment on fit - the slim fit is (if you know how their suits fit) between the Ludlow slim and classic, and the classic is the same as classic. So if you normally take a classic, you may want to try on a slim in the unsuit, because it might work. If you normally take a slim, just order the slim. If you've got a bit of extra space when wearing a slim Ludlow suit, consider sizing down 1 (if you're normally a 40r, try a 39r).

Comments on the matching pants - by all means get them if you want, I have them and they're great too, but I orphan both and wear them individually far more than I actually pair them together.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    What you're wearing sounds just fine. 80/humid for an outdoor graduation ceremony is rough, don't kill yourself over it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    225 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    What you're wearing sounds just fine. 80/humid for an outdoor graduation ceremony is rough, don't kill yourself over it.
    But this is his perfect excuse to buy an unlined summer weight /fabric sport coat. Don't ruin the excuse for him...

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    But this is his perfect excuse to buy an unlined summer weight /fabric sport coat. Don't ruin the excuse for him...
    Fair enough -- not sure that would save me from pitting out in that weather tho what I meant by the above was:

"Dude, you obviously cannot attend without a lightweight, unlined summer fabric sport coat. Don't be that guy without one at the ceremony and embarrass your kid on their big day!"