Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Work out getting stale

  1. #11
    Super Moderator LesserBlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,537
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    I have this problem with my knees and struggle to find leg day stuff. I typically just go walk the big hills around me while carrying a loaded pack. I absolutely cant do leg curls. the popping and discomfort is too much even with very low weight.
    If you have knee pain or injury I would suggest you try to get it rehabbed by a physical therapist (medical insurance can cover this if you get a referral from your PCP). Then get a knowledgeable trainer to teach you proper squat form. Done with proper form, squats will actually protect and enhance your knee health by strengthening the muscles that support and control the tendons, ligaments, and other structures of the knee. The squat is the granddaddy of all functional human movements so don’t neglect it or you’re going to be missing out. Leg curls are meh, whatever.

    I’d probably do goblet squats with a DB or KB rather than a Smith machine. You want the stimulus of actually having to control the “bar path” by stabilizing and engaging your core. The squat, like the deadlift, is a lift that should engage your full body. The Smith machine restricts your range of motion and does the work of stabilizing the weight for you, which might be ok if you’re a bodybuilder focusing on making one particular muscle or set of muscles bigger, but is counterproductive if you’re trying to develop functional strength, stability, and long-term health as most strength athletes and amateur/recreational lifters are trying to do.

    DB lunges would be another accessory/alternative to the traditional squat. If you’re really ambitious you could ease yourself into pistol squats (single legged body weight squats) or you could always stick to plain ol’ bodyweight squats.

    As for deadlifts, I’d probably recommend single leg DB/KB deadlifts as an alternative if you don’t have a barbell. DB/KB cleans and snatches will also engage the posterior chain similar to deadlifting. If you do a DB/KB clean and squat complex you could actually get your posterior and anterior chain both engaged in lieu of traditional squatting and deadlifting.
    Ben

  2. #12
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,674
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    If you have knee pain or injury I would suggest you try to get it rehabbed by a physical therapist (medical insurance can cover this if you get a referral from your PCP). Then get a knowledgeable trainer to teach you proper squat form. Done with proper form, squats will actually protect and enhance your knee health by strengthening the muscles that support and control the tendons, ligaments, and other structures of the knee. The squat is the granddaddy of all functional human movements so don’t neglect it or you’re going to be missing out. Leg curls are meh, whatever.
    my squat form is pretty decent. it doesnt hurt my knees or back. Its one of my favorite lower body excercises because it hits so many groups. Extensions and curls just put a very focused stressor on the knee and it isnt good.



    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I’d probably do goblet squats with a DB or KB rather than a Smith machine. You want the stimulus of actually having to control the “bar path” by stabilizing and engaging your core. The squat, like the deadlift, is a lift that should engage your full body. The Smith machine restricts your range of motion and does the work of stabilizing the weight for you, which might be ok if you’re a bodybuilder focusing on making one particular muscle or set of muscles bigger, but is counterproductive if you’re trying to develop functional strength, stability, and long-term health as most strength athletes and amateur/recreational lifters are trying to do.

    DB lunges would be another accessory/alternative to the traditional squat. If you’re really ambitious you could ease yourself into pistol squats (single legged body weight squats) or you could always stick to plain ol’ bodyweight squats.
    I will look into those. I have done some variations of barbell squats and have mixed feelings about them. I will keep looking though.

    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    As for deadlifts, I’d probably recommend single leg DB/KB deadlifts as an alternative if you don’t have a barbell. DB/KB cleans and snatches will also engage the posterior chain similar to deadlifting. If you do a DB/KB clean and squat complex you could actually get your posterior and anterior chain both engaged in lieu of traditional squatting and deadlifting.
    This isnt the first time someone has suggested working in deadlifting. Guess I need to get on that. Thanks.

  3. #13
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    654
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    Sounds like my gym and yours are similarly limited. I have access to a treadmill and dumbbells up to 50 lbs. Here's what I do these days.

    Day 1:
    5 min warm up run
    Three sets of Javorek dumbbell complex x6 reps of each movement (I love/hate this motherfucker, lots to read here http://www.istvanjavorek.com/sample-exercises/ and here http://www.istvanjavorek.com/page2.html). No rest between each movement, 1 to 2 minutes rest between each set.
    Three sets of Jump squats x15, push ups x15, ab complex x45, planks 30 seconds. No rest between each movement, 1 to 2 minutes rest between each set.
    Stretch

    Day 2:
    5 min warm up run
    Superset three sets of dumbbell squats x10 and dumbbell deadlift x10
    Superset three sets of dumbbell benchpress x10 and dumbbell bent over one arm row x10
    Superset three sets of dumbbell overhead press x10 and dumbbell upright rows x10
    Superset three sets of weighted sit ups x15 and supermans 30 seconds
    Stretch

    Day 3:
    3.5 mile run
    three sets of pullups to failure/max reps

  4. #14
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,674
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thedrake View Post
    Sounds like my gym and yours are similarly limited. I have access to a treadmill and dumbbells up to 50 lbs. Here's what I do these days.

    Day 1:
    5 min warm up run
    Three sets of Javorek dumbbell complex x6 reps of each movement (I love/hate this motherfucker, lots to read here http://www.istvanjavorek.com/sample-exercises/ and here http://www.istvanjavorek.com/page2.html). No rest between each movement, 1 to 2 minutes rest between each set.
    Three sets of Jump squats x15, push ups x15, ab complex x45, planks 30 seconds. No rest between each movement, 1 to 2 minutes rest between each set.
    Stretch

    Day 2:
    5 min warm up run
    Superset three sets of dumbbell squats x10 and dumbbell deadlift x10
    Superset three sets of dumbbell benchpress x10 and dumbbell bent over one arm row x10
    Superset three sets of dumbbell overhead press x10 and dumbbell upright rows x10
    Superset three sets of weighted sit ups x15 and supermans 30 seconds
    Stretch

    Day 3:
    3.5 mile run
    three sets of pullups to failure/max reps
    nice breakdown. thats a lot more than what I am doing but something to work up to. Thanks!

  5. #15
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    654
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    nice breakdown. thats a lot more than what I am doing but something to work up to. Thanks!
    That's one of the things I like about this work out, it's really flexible. Messing around with the number of movements, order of movements, weights and number of reps allowed me to find a good starting spot and from there I've settled into the workout I wrote down. I should also say that I miss a lot of days because of other commitments. It's no big deal, I just keep track of which work out I did last and when I have a chance to work out again, I do the next work out on the list.

  6. #16
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,674
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thedrake View Post
    That's one of the things I like about this work out, it's really flexible. Messing around with the number of movements, order of movements, weights and number of reps allowed me to find a good starting spot and from there I've settled into the workout I wrote down. I should also say that I miss a lot of days because of other commitments. It's no big deal, I just keep track of which work out I did last and when I have a chance to work out again, I do the next work out on the list.
    sounds like me for sure. I want to up the intensity of my workouts so that a missed day isnt as huge of a deal. This week is terrible for me and the gym. At least I know it is testing my mind shift. Instead of being like "OK, cool, I just cant go today" I am like "ah, dang it, I cant go today. where can I make it up?"

  7. #17
    Varsity Member APinNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    I'm in the same boat, what do you do to work your shoulders/triceps/whatever else OHP does?
    Late to the party, but John Meadows has a good write up on how to build boulder shoulders without using the OHP as your main lift. Mountain Dog has some of the best shoulders in the business

    https://www.t-nation.com/training/sh...untain-dog-way
    We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

  8. #18
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    If you want a portable body weight routine, try this:

    Capture a baseline:
    1. Max push-ups, rest
    2. Max pull-ups, rest
    3. 2 min of burpees

    Get your numbers, and figure out your set based on desired intensity/fitness level.

    The workout starts with pushups, then go directly into pull-ups, then directly into burpees. 4-6 supersets with 90-180 second rest between supersets.

    It’s miserable and awesome. This workout with a once a week timed 2-mile run brought me from size 36 to size 29-30. I use this when I travel for work or go somewhere on vacation. It works but it’s a gut check.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •