Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for watch options with chrono and external bezel

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1056 Post(s)

Looking for watch options with chrono and external bezel

I have started hitting the neighborhood gym on my lunch breaks and am really getting into a routine again. Because of the time constraints I have like to keep a pretty rigid schedule while in there. I time my rest periods and keep an eye on set times. I also have to be aware of how long I have been away from my desk. Currently I just try and remember what time I left and use the external bezel on my diver style watch to time rests. It would be nice to be able to hit the chrono when I walk through the door and then use the bezel as I do now. It can be analog or digital or a combo, but I dont want to have to switch display modes. Just a quick hit to reset the timer. If I do that I can just use the stop watch on my phone. I just want quick glance on the wrist ability. I am sure there are digitals that can do this, its just hard to judge the itnerface without getting one in hand.

Seiko SSC618 comes to mind but I dont like it enough to pay that price. Also, this doesnt have to be high end. I currently use a $20 Casio. The Casio amw330 or amw320 are options but the bezel is a little busy. Any other suggestions?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)
    Bulova has a couple different dive chronos. There's the Lobster and Snorkel which are UHF quartz with internal bezels which I think might be getting hard to find. Or they have some standard quartz jobs
    https://www.jomashop.com/bulova-watch-98b301.html
    https://www.jomashop.com/bulova-watch-98b325.html
    https://www.jomashop.com/bulova-mari...ch-96b255.html
    https://www.jomashop.com/bulova-watch-98b325.html

TMann
    I have a Tissot PRS200 that fits those criteria. I think that these are out of production, but they are around on eBay. Honestly? It's not my favorite watch; the dial is super busy which makes it harder for my 50-yr old eyes to read. But there are days at work when I appreciate the chrono and the timing bezel.

Along those lines....I LOVE the look of "panda" dials, especially some of the old vintage ones. But you have to be careful with those. The contrasting dial color can really affect the readability of the watch.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    You may want to look into a “flyback chronograph.” They differ from regular chronograph in that you don’t have to first stop them to reset them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyback_chronograph

The trick would be finding one with a timing bezel, too.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1056 Post(s)
    I have been looking into digital with a lap timer. It records elapsed time and I could hit the lap at the end of each set. As long as I start my next set within my rest period then I am all good. I like the idea of being able to track my set times too. Just to see if I am slowing down in the end compared to the beginning.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1360 Post(s)
    What about some kind of digital tracker/smart watch? Say a Garmin? You can load in an appropriate workout app to track your workout and then review everything later if you so desire. Plus the GPS function of the watch will help out when you want to go hiking.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1056 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    What about some kind of digital tracker/smart watch? Say a Garmin? You can load in an appropriate workout app to track your workout and then review everything later if you so desire. Plus the GPS function of the watch will help out when you want to go hiking.
    I am trying to go a little less $$ for gym use but those garmin are very appealing. I have been eyeing one for a while for hiking. We bought one of the kids an apple watch for Christmas and I am kind of waiting to see if he gets tired of it and it ends up on me before I spend more $$ lol.

Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2029 Post(s)
    I recently picked up a Garmin Instinct and I looove it. On top of the GPS/HRM/ABC, it is apparently approved to some military shock/thermal/water resistance standard or another.

The styling is less smart watch-y and more G-Shock-y, which is a matter of preference, but what I really like is how much clearer the display is than previous Garmin models I've owned (Fenix 5s, Forerunner 645). I can read the negative display even in near-darkness. I like it enough I got one for my brother for his birthday (today, incidentally). And the size isn't crazy - I think it's 45mm diameter with 50mm lug-to-lug and 22mm strap width. It's big but reasonable IMO. Certainly easier to wear than most of the higher-end G-Shocks.

It may not be the one if you're looking for something that can transition between work and gym, though, due to the sportier styling.
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1056 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I recently picked up a Garmin Instinct and I looove it. On top of the GPS/HRM/ABC, it is apparently approved to some military shock/thermal/water resistance standard or another.

The styling is less smart watch-y and more G-Shock-y, which is a matter of preference, but what I really like is how much clearer the display is than previous Garmin models I've owned (Fenix 5s, Forerunner 645). I can read the negative display even in near-darkness. I like it enough I got one for my brother for his birthday (today, incidentally). And the size isn't crazy - I think it's 45mm diameter with 50mm lug-to-lug and 22mm strap width. It's big but reasonable IMO. Certainly easier to wear than most of the higher-end G-Shocks.

It may not be the one if you're looking for something that can transition between work and gym, though, due to the sportier styling.
    I work from home so I am not worried about the styling. I like the instinct but had only seen it in orange or white before just now. I am goign to have to look into it more. Does it dip below the $299.99 msrp often in your experience? a lot of those garmins dont really drop much.

oh, and does it have lap timing?
    Last edited by idvsego; May 13th, 2019 at 02:49 PM.

Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2029 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    I work from home so I am not worried about the styling. I like the instinct but had only seen it in orange or white before just now. I am goign to have to look into it more. Does it dip below the $299.99 msrp often in your experience? a lot of those garmins dont really drop much.
    Some of the colors are a little cheaper on Amazon, I think I've seen as low as $265. The black one is $282 on Amazon currently. If you're a member of REI you could wait for one of their 20% off one full-priced item sales although I don't think they're going to have another one until probably July or something.
    Ben