Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What do you wear when traveling by plane?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    All of the travel sites will tell you that dressing better makes it much more likely that you will get treated well by the airline if something goes wrong. You don't want to be arguing about compensation for a cancellation in your pikachu pajama bottoms and "America F*ck Yeah!" sweatshirt. No need to wear a suit and tie, but nice jeans or chinos, an OCBD or nice polo and a sportcoat is good. The sportcoat will go in the overhead and you are just as comfortable as in sweats (OK, nearly), but you'll feel better about yourself and get the advantage of better treatment by the airline.

Just my $.02

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1455 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    I like the combo of Rolex + cheap hoodie.
    I needed a lightweight style jacket. I was thinking of going with the cardigan I purchased (as mentioned elsewhere on this fine site) but opted for the hoodie because I was concerned the cardigan would be too bulky both on the plane and at my final destination. Turns out the hoodie worked well, although I could have done with a little extra warmth at my end location. Warmth the cardigan might have provided.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I needed a lightweight style jacket. I was thinking of going with the cardigan I purchased (as mentioned elsewhere on this fine site) but opted for the hoodie because I was concerned the cardigan would be too bulky both on the plane and at my final destination. Turns out the hoodie worked well, although I could have done with a little extra warmth at my end location. Warmth the cardigan might have provided.
    I think the key with hoodies is the fit. I have a hoodie and a pullover, both synthetic and from BR factory (probably some performance line), that fit me like gloves. Yeah, they're hoodies, but they're very flattering on me, so don't look half bad overall.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Back when I used to fly for work it was a plain navy suit, no tie, no belt. Put wallet keys tickets phone etc in the various coat pockets. Made security a breeze even in the days before tsa precheck.

Travelling for pleasure I typically just wear some jeans and a shirt plus whatever outerwear is appropriate for the destination.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    For work, I dress in whatever I would like to wear to a meeting if I lost all my other luggage and/or didn't have time to change.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    For work, I dress in whatever I would like to wear to a meeting if I lost all my other luggage and/or didn't have time to change.
    This is good advice. I found myself in the position once of temporarily lost luggage (they got it to me the next day), and maybe 30 minutes extra before thr meeting in which to procure something to wear at the meeting from Walmart (only other store close by was a target).

That was rough. I immediately gave up on a jacket, found a pair of grey chinos that were mostly passable, found a white button up shirt that fit ok and didn't need ironing, and a pair of cheap looking (but at least not square toed) black "dress" shoes.

I wasn't worse dressed than half the people there, but I felt self conscious all day. This was years before modern day target, which would have made this day mostly a non issue.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    BR is having 50% off so I took the plunge on Core Temp pants. I looked a the matching blazer because I usually wear one when traveling and something super light and wrinkle resistant sounds perfect, but did not get it because to me it just looked a little to "polyester" or "techie".

I was also considering the Bluffworks options, but I think I would have the same feeling about the look. https://shop.bluffworks.com/

Joe

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1455 Post(s)
    I was in a brick and mortar BR on the weekend and I couldn't find any core temp pants. I'd really like to give them a try on in store before making a purchase, but I don't know if that's going to happen. I might have to buy them online, give them a shot/try on a home, and then make my call.