Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you wear when traveling by plane?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    I normally dress casually when i travel. Nice fitting / hemmed jeans and a tucked in polo / tee shirt (plain - not logoed etc) with shoes / drivers. I dont want to be restricted or stuffy when i travel. If i have a meeting right when i land that obviously will change my outfit up a whole lot.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    What are 'normal' flight clothes? And what carry-on are you using to be able to fit in a change of clothes plus usual plane stuff (headphones? computer? books? etc.). Thanks.

Sorry - I meant my normal travel outfit (Sportscoat/chinos). I always fly with a small carry on roll suitcase and by briefcase. I am lucky that my company pays for business class for me on flights over 8 hours when my stay is only going to be a few days. I will carry my shorts and tee shirt in my breifcase and in business class they will hang up my sportscoat for me and there is plenty of room in business class to store my pants and shirt.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)
    I have a Filson roll-aboard that I have taken on about 700,000 miles worth of trips. Fits up to 5 days of business or business-casual clothing. It is just breaking in. On the plane, I generally wear the more casual side of what I wear to work - chinos, Nordstrom button down shirt, dress shoes. I usually take a more casual jacket like a Baracuta G9 for the plane. It is practical for flying but still fairly presentable for an engineer like me.

Lately, when I have had to fly on Sunday it’s been in denim and a hoodie, but still decent shoes like desert boots and a nicer shirt.
    Mark

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1376 Post(s)
    Thanks @joekloo I asked about being able to change in to different clothes and stash those clothes in the carry on because I did something similar when I flew to Hawaii. I wore cold weather clothes to the airport, then switched to warm weather clothes when I was changing planes. I had a hard time getting the clothes stashed, but I was likely using the wrong carry on bag.

@motosacto, do you have a link to your Filson bag that you can take on the plane?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)
    Thanks @joekloo I asked about being able to change in to different clothes and stash those clothes in the carry on because I did something similar when I flew to Hawaii. I wore cold weather clothes to the airport, then switched to warm weather clothes when I was changing planes. I had a hard time getting the clothes stashed, but I was likely using the wrong carry on bag.

@motosacto, do you have a link to your Filson bag that you can take on the plane?
    Turns out they're on sale at Sierra Trading Post - they got really expensive (like lots of Filson stuff), and they're not spinners. Here's a link. My usual rig is this bag (in tan) with a black Filson computer briefcase.

https://www.sierra.com/filson-22-rug...tcase~p~636mx/
    Mark

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    100% of my trips are long-haul over-night flights where I will be sleeping for 5-8 hours (hopefully), therefore I choose to skew towards comfort based on where I'm going. Normally this means indigo jeans, an OCBD untucked and Sambas or Killshots or Stan Smiths. So still look presentable but not dressy...I am warm natured, so wearing a sport coat through the airport is not appealing to me. I usually try to arrive the day before work, so I have time to acclimate and refresh and see the city I'm in before starting the work week. If not, I will try to check into the hotel early on the way to work to shower/change or will do so at the office if it's one of ours with on-site showers/gym.

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1376 Post(s)
    As I write this I am sitting at an airport, waiting to board my flight. Current wardrobe:

Dark Jeans
    White OCBD
    Adidas Samba shoes
    Rolex Explorer II (since I'll be in a different time zone)
    Uniqlo Dry-EX hoodie

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    218 Post(s)
    As I write this I am sitting at an airport, waiting to board my flight. Current wardrobe:

Dark Jeans
    White OCBD
    Adidas Samba shoes
    Rolex Explorer II (since I'll be in a different time zone)
    Uniqlo Dry-EX hoodie
    I like the combo of Rolex + cheap hoodie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    depends; usually I travel for business with enough time to check in hotel so this is my usual:

1. suit jacket/blazer
    2. crisp white tee in summer/spring or OCBD fall/winter
    3. dark jeans
    4. watch
    5. white sneakers or dress shoes

for leisure:

1. light outerwear jacket
    2. OCBD or nice tee
    3. dark jeans
    4. sneakers
    5. watch

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    All you business travelers are so dapper, but I suppose that's appropriate. I only travel for leisure, so it's comfy stretch jeans and a polo or henley at most, but usually some sweats or shorts, a t-shirt, sneakers, and maybe a light jacket and sneakers... But depends where my destination is.

Heading to Hawaii tomorrow for best friend's wedding weekend, and out to dinner with everyone right after landing, so I'll be dressed up compared to my normal flight attire in my featherweight selvedge, short sleeve floral print button up, and a seersucker sport coat. Will post that in WIWT tomorrow.