Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you wear when traveling by plane?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    313 Post(s)
    A pair of wool trousers--last multiple wears without laundering. Of course it only goes with a shirt and dress shoes. Not the most comfortable but bearable (it's what I wear everyday).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)
    I don't have any work related travel (retired) but I have had a lot of leisure travel lately.

I like to be well dressed but more on the casual end of the spectrum since I don't have to worry about going into the office.

Dark wash jeans, OCBD shirt with a sweater in the colder months or a short sleeve henley for warmer weather. Some type of jacket whether it's a light weight field jacket or a cotton blazer. I like having the pockets.

Shoes are either loafers or suede chukkas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I enjoy the utility of a sport coat, but I find them incredibly uncomfortable to wear on a plane. Has anyone found a good sport coat with some stretch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joekloo View Post
    I do not own any of the tech or Core Temp pants but I have been tempted to get some for travel. They seem like a good option and now @JohnR convinced me to give them a try.
    On my last business trip I wore the Uniqlo Kando pants, thinking a light weight pant would be good. I think for the most part the pants hit the mark. Business looking enough, yet light enough for travel. If the Core Temp pants are along the same line, they might be a good bet.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    When I travel for work, I almost always have to wear suit/tie during the day. Because I like to pack light, on the plane I wear whatever my primary (after work hours) casual pieces for the week will be. I unpack when I get to the hotel, and my suits are almost always good to go the next morning when I head to the office. The shirts are generally a bit more wrinkled in the arms, but my jacket hides that. Since I am almost always cold in office buildings, I tend to keep on my suit jackets during the day.

As of last year, the Core Temp chinos are typically my casual pants for the week. They are lightweight, stretchy, resist wrinkling and if it ever became necessary, I could easily wash them in the hotel room and they would dry very quickly. A good second, more casual choice would be the Prana Brion pant. All of the characteristics of the Cor Temp that I mentioned, only in a jean style. The Prana Brion have no natural fibers.

Here are the Brion pants at Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/prAna-Living-...dp/B00H9ME198/

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    My work travel is generally a pretty casual affair (often involves outdoor testing), so I'm usually in jeans. The big thing I've learned is the value of the front shirt pocket. It's such a handy place to stash stuff when you're in a cramped airplane seat. I always feel a little naked when I don't plan accordingly and end up wearing a pocket-less shirt to fly in.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    160 Post(s)
    The last year or so I've had to take a few business trips... one of them to the Philippines which was roughly 24 hours of traveling each way. Usually I wear jeans and a polo, and perhaps a sport coat. On the Philippine trip I ditch the sport coat in favor of my GR1 (backpack) for practicality reasons and stuck with jeans/polo. By the time I got there, my clothes were gross. At the risk of oversharing (so sorry, but now you've been warned), I tend to run hot and sweat quite a bit - especially under stress for which this sort of travel is a source. To combat that on the way home, I wore a tech polo and BR CoreTemp chinos. Much cooler, and more comfortable but I still managed to sweat through them quite embarrassingly. I suppose I'll be back to jeans next time. They aren't as comfortable, but hide the sweat far better.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Charles View Post
    The last year or so I've had to take a few business trips... one of them to the Philippines which was roughly 24 hours of traveling each way. Usually I wear jeans and a polo, and perhaps a sport coat. On the Philippine trip I ditch the sport coat in favor of my GR1 (backpack) for practicality reasons and stuck with jeans/polo. By the time I got there, my clothes were gross. At the risk of oversharing (so sorry, but now you've been warned), I tend to run hot and sweat quite a bit - especially under stress for which this sort of travel is a source. To combat that on the way home, I wore a tech polo and BR CoreTemp chinos. Much cooler, and more comfortable but I still managed to sweat through them quite embarrassingly. I suppose I'll be back to jeans next time. They aren't as comfortable, but hide the sweat far better.

I know what you mean. I fly to Asia 3-4 times per year and the temp on the plane gets to 80+ I swear. For those trips I wear my normal flight clothes on the plane, then before takeoff go to bathroom and change into shorts and tee shirt for flight. About 1 hour before landing I change back.

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joekloo View Post
    I know what you mean. I fly to Asia 3-4 times per year and the temp on the plane gets to 80+ I swear. For those trips I wear my normal flight clothes on the plane, then before takeoff go to bathroom and change into shorts and tee shirt for flight. About 1 hour before landing I change back.
    What are 'normal' flight clothes? And what carry-on are you using to be able to fit in a change of clothes plus usual plane stuff (headphones? computer? books? etc.). Thanks.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    460 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Charles View Post
    You’re not alone. Had a flight to San Diego last year from Dc. Cramped middle seat next to two guys over 6’ and wider than their seats. My air vent didn’t work. I was miserable and drenched before we landed. Landed went to the bathroom and threw my t shirt away and grabbed one out of my travel bag. Given the cramped nature of flights it’s not worth it to me to wear nicer clothes.