Thread: Underwear for the summer with maybe a weird question

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

Question Underwear for the summer with maybe a weird question

Hello all,

It's time to start replacing my old boxer briefs that are starting to fall apart (reminds me of that Seinfeld bit haha) and being as I live in a hot and humid climate most of the year wanted some of those new fancy synthetic boxer briefs I keep hearing people rave about.

I was going to try the Uniqlo AIrisms (non-mesh) since they are cheaper than the Exofficio but I have a doubt after reading a review and a couple of reddit posts. I've seen a couple of people complain that the Airisms are so thin that their pants actually end up absorbing a lot more odor and end up stinkier. Is this a valid concern? Would the Exofficios be a better option? Are they thicker and not see through? Or is that maybe another option I should be looking at?

Thanks for any input!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Gross.

I live in Houston, which is both hot and humid. I have several pair of Airism boxers briefs. The mesh ones. And, I have one pair of Ex Officio Sport Mesh boxer briefs. I agree that the Airism boxer briefs are thinner than the Ex Officios, but I have never encountered the problem you describe in your post. While I work in an office building and not outside farming, herding cattle, or engaging in other strenuous outdoor work, I do hike and spend time outdoors recreationally. I have never, ever had the problem you describe. I suspect those are exaggerated accounts.

In my opinion, the Ex Officios ARE better than the Airisms, but not so much better that they are worth the additional cost (especially at full retail price). If you can find them at a decent discount and can afford them, I would recommend the Ex Officios. If you cannot, then the Airism boxer briefs should work well.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caktaylor View Post
    Gross.

I live in Houston, which is both hot and humid. I have several pair of Airism boxers briefs. The mesh ones. And, I have one pair of Ex Officio Sport Mesh boxer briefs. I agree that the Airism boxer briefs are thinner than the Ex Officios, but I have never encountered the problem you describe in your post. While I work in an office building and not outside farming, herding cattle, or engaging in other strenuous outdoor work, I do hike and spend time outdoors recreationally. I have never, ever had the problem you describe. I suspect those are exaggerated accounts.

In my opinion, the Ex Officios ARE better than the Airisms, but not so much better that they are worth the additional cost (especially at full retail price). If you can find them at a decent discount and can afford them, I would recommend the Ex Officios. If you cannot, then the Airism boxer briefs should work well.
    Thanks for the feedback, That is good to hear. I normally would have just chalked it up to one person being overly dramatic but since I saw a couple of other posters basically agree it gave me some pause.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1458 Post(s)
    I have no experience with the Ex Officios, and have recently started wearing the Airism from Uniqlo. I do not live in super humid/hot climate, but we get in to the low to mid 30s. For far, I have not experience anything like you are referencing.

Again, I work in an aircond office and I'm not doing a heck of a lot of strenuous activity. For me, the Airism are working out fine.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unnamedplayer View Post
    Hello all,

It's time to start replacing my old boxer briefs that are starting to fall apart (reminds me of that Seinfeld bit haha) and being as I live in a hot and humid climate most of the year wanted some of those new fancy synthetic boxer briefs I keep hearing people rave about.

I was going to try the Uniqlo AIrisms (non-mesh) since they are cheaper than the Exofficio but I have a doubt after reading a review and a couple of reddit posts. I've seen a couple of people complain that the Airisms are so thin that their pants actually end up absorbing a lot more odor and end up stinkier. Is this a valid concern? Would the Exofficios be a better option? Are they thicker and not see through? Or is that maybe another option I should be looking at?

Thanks for any input!
    Problem with Airisms is that they are 100% synthetic. Stuff that stinks likes to grow on synthetic fabrics. Exofficio gets around this by treating their briefs with antimicrobial. My personal preference is merino wool briefs. Expensive (although on par with Exofficio) and they work better than anything I've ever tried. Merino wool tshirts are great as well, but stop working as soon as deodorant gums up the pits.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paintflinger View Post
    Problem with Airisms is that they are 100% synthetic. Stuff that stinks likes to grow on synthetic fabrics. Exofficio gets around this by treating their briefs with antimicrobial. My personal preference is merino wool briefs. Expensive (although on par with Exofficio) and they work better than anything I've ever tried. Merino wool tshirts are great as well, but stop working as soon as deodorant gums up the pits.
    Yea, I get synthetic fibers hold on to odors more than cotton and FWIW the Airisms are suppose to have anti-microbial treatment too. But, this particular complaint was not so much with the boxers themselves but rather that the outer garment (ie your pants or shorts) end up absorbing more odor.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    373 Post(s)
    Go with David Archy separate pouches micro-modal trunks or boxer briefs from Amazon and never look back. Keeping your twig separate from your berries does wonders for keeping you dry and comfortable. It's literally life changing. It's the only underwear I ever wear anymore.

As far as odor transfer to your outer garment, not sure there's much you can do if you spend a lot of time sitting or something, as that sweat vapor has to go somewhere, and the outer garment is going to wick away the sweat/odor from the underwear especially if sitting or something.
    Last edited by Nandyn; May 13th, 2019 at 06:06 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    I had never even heard of Ex Officio until the post on the main site about the Costco sale. After buying a set of 3 by mail, I liked them so much, I went to Costco and got another set of 3 for $19.99 in store. Super comfy, and the legs don't bunch up on me even though I have quadriceps.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1458 Post(s)
    I bought a pair of SAXX the other day and gave them a whorl. They are supposed to be super comfortable but to be honest I didn't notice them too be very much different from the Airism.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    FWIW I've definitely noticed when I wear Airisms to the gym, etc. that they tend to hold more odor than non-synthetics.