Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reconditioning used AE at home

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elpenguinoloco View Post

https://imgur.com/5x1F5nW

Would I maybe have rather had a $75 pair of new shoes? Perhaps, but now that I've incurred this "startup cost," I think I'm much more likely to do this again with another pair, hopefully with similar results.

Thanks all!
    Well done!

In the last 18 months, I've purchased at least a 15 pairs of shoes priced from $29.99 to $520. Oh, and a used pair of AE Del Rays for $13.99 (in barely used shape). So, as much as I love nice shoes, I'm not a shoe snob.

And I've found that I admire and enjoy wearing a well-crafted pair much more than something less expensive--even if the less expensive shoes look good.

I'm sure you will be very happy with your choice in the long run.
    Last edited by mebejoseph; May 15th, 2019 at 01:08 PM.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)

Would I maybe have rather had a $75 pair of new shoes? Perhaps, but now that I've incurred this "startup cost," I think I'm much more likely to do this again with another pair, hopefully with similar results.

Thanks all!
    Those turned out great! I was gonna say those welts look super clean, so you probably don't need to really go at them much more than you already have. I'd pick those over new Cole Haans/J&M any day (unless it was a new, made in USA good year welt shoe from them at that price point... Which would never happen). And as you've said, now you're all set up for maintenance of these and other shoes.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Update for those of you who helped me out. I did pull the trigger on these, and seller took $30. I bought leather cleaner, conditioner, cream polish, and a horsehair brush -- about $40 on eBay. So including shipping I am about $75 all in, and I am pretty satisfied with the result. I followed the process on the Vcleat website almost to the letter, though I did not do an extensive cleaning of the welt stitching, nor did I go for sole edging or new laces. I might. There were some good scuffs on both heels as well as the right toe, but they have mostly disappeared after polishing, and I may do another coat before a wedding next weekend.

Posting images never works for me, so I hope this is visible:

Thanks all!
    I think you're nuts if you think a 75$ pair would match this quality.