Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beach "black tie optional"

Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2099 Post(s)
    Unfriend these plebes, go to Mexico anyway, profit.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    520 Post(s)
    I think the alternative for that situation is to not wear black tie or the substitutes. But that’s just me you know them better than I do. I’d probably ask them what the wedding party is wearing if you know them well enough.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I know it's a rather extreme option in current society, but perhaps try contacting the happy couple? As others have said they may not realize how contradictory the message is, and would appreciate the suggestion to clarify the matter, for all their invitees. If sartorially well-educated people such as we are confused, imagine how the average person is feeling.

As for black-tie traditions in hot weather, consider the Red Sea Rig. It comes from the Royal Navy, which in turn had taken a cue from India. Ditch the jacket for a red or maroon cummerbund over a pleated/Marcella shirt with a matching bow tie, and black or midnight blue tuxedo trousers. The Red Sea Rig spread from the military to be current appropriate formalwear for British and American diplomats in hot regions, primarily for locations which lack air conditioning. Navy and commercial cruise line officers usually wear a short-sleeve version.
    Last edited by Galcobar; April 29th, 2019 at 11:38 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    604 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    I know it's a rather extreme option in current society, but perhaps try contacting the happy couple? As others have said they may not realize how contradictory the message is, and would appreciate the suggestion to clarify the matter, for all their invitees. If sartorially well-educated people such as we are confused, imagine how the average person is feeling.

As for black-tie traditions in hot weather, consider the Red Sea Rig. It comes from Royal Navy, which in turn had taken a cue from India. Ditch the jacket for a red or maroon cummerbund over a pleated/Marcella shirt with a matching bow tie, and black or midnight blue tuxedo trousers. The Red Sea Rig spread from the military to be current appropriate formalwear for British and American diplomats in hot regions, primarily for locations which lack air conditioning. Navy and commercial cruise line officers usually wear a short-sleeve version.
    Interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Sea_rig
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    163 Post(s)
    I'm going to take a contrary position: anything that requires being anything other than barefoot, or *maybe* flip flops on an actual sand beach is "too formal." So once you're requiring shoes of any sort, the top, why not have it be formal? And I don't see how sand is going to be any more a problem for a tux than for any other clothes.

I get the heat issue, but this applies to summer weddings just about anywhere in the US.

And I get wanting to be married right by the ocean. Sounds amazing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'd suggest talking to the couple, and also possibly some mutual friends who will be going to see what their attire will be.

I mean, a tux on the beach seems like the sort of thing I'd imagine in a Bond film for the morning after, with bow tie undone, rather than done full up.

Also, confirming that the wedding is actually ON the beach and not simply AT the beach?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aps2012 View Post
    I get the heat issue, but this applies to summer weddings just about anywhere in the US.
    Yes, but tuxedos are almost exclusively made in all-season material, etc, with a jacket lining, whereas summer suits can be much cooler.

And with a summer suit you don't have the addition of an extra layer (cummerbund) around the waist. And sometimes a summer suit can look very good without a tie.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JT10000 View Post
    Yes, but tuxedos are almost exclusively made in all-season material, etc, with a jacket lining, whereas summer suits can be much cooler.

And with a summer suit you don't have the addition of an extra layer (cummerbund) around the waist. And sometimes a summer suit can look very good without a tie.
    Funny thing is that the cummerbund was introduced as a warm-weather alternative to the waistcoat, derived from the sashes worn in India. Though nowadays the backless vest introduced by the Duke of Windsor in the 1920s would probably be cooler to wear.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the good responses! This is continuing to be very helpful. I know the best answer is to ask, which I'll likely wind up doing, but wanted to wrap my head around ideas before. Currently I'm batting around the idea of my white dinner jacket, black tux pants, but doing a blue bow tie of some sort along with my blue suede loafers. Likely ditching cummerbund as well. It'd be a fairly creative black tie, with a beach/tropical twist, and straying far from traditional, but could be nice if I find the right bowtie.

Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Unfriend these plebes, go to Mexico anyway, profit.
    LOL - I like this option, but the wife may not be a fan (it's her friend's wedding).

As for black-tie traditions in hot weather, consider the Red Sea Rig. It comes from the Royal Navy, which in turn had taken a cue from India. Ditch the jacket for a red or maroon cummerbund over a pleated/Marcella shirt with a matching bow tie, and black or midnight blue tuxedo trousers. The Red Sea Rig spread from the military to be current appropriate formalwear for British and American diplomats in hot regions, primarily for locations which lack air conditioning. Navy and commercial cruise line officers usually wear a short-sleeve version.
    Well I learned something new today -- not sure I can pull that off, but cool history.

Quote Originally Posted by JT10000 View Post

All of this is why I'm confused/frustrated at not knowing how to approach. My dinner jacket is a cotton/linen blend (and even my traditional black tux is a summer/cool weight), which is helpful, but both still lined for obvious reasons.

Funny thing is that the cummerbund was introduced as a warm-weather alternative to the waistcoat, derived from the sashes worn in India. Though nowadays the backless vest introduced by the Duke of Windsor in the 1920s would probably be cooler to wear.
    I'm a never vest type. Normally I'm always cummerbund, but depending on what I do here I may skip it for this one.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aps2012 View Post
    I'm going to take a contrary position: anything that requires being anything other than barefoot, or *maybe* flip flops on an actual sand beach is "too formal." So once you're requiring shoes of any sort, the top, why not have it be formal? And I don't see how sand is going to be any more a problem for a tux than for any other clothes.

And I get wanting to be married right by the ocean. Sounds amazing.
    Seconded, not sure what is confusing. Wear a tux if you want, if not wear a suit.

Let this be your guide:https://www.thevintagenews.com/wp-co...7/9evkapda.jpg