Thread: Best bourbons under $40

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Best bourbons under $40

In response to today's article, I want to suggest Benchmark as a low-cost, high value bourbon (similar to Evan Williams Black label). It's made by Buffalo Trace, and it is their "entry-level" bourbon.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    I've recently discovered Buffalo Trace and love it. One that was missed that's excellent for about $30 a bottle is Woodford Reserve.

After being devoted to scotches for years, my tastes seem to be trending to bourbon the last year or two. Maybe it's because they are a better value?
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1444 Post(s)
    As a total noob when it comes to bourbon, I thought the article today was a great resource. The article might even be enough to get me out of drinking beer only.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    Weller Antique 107 is fantastic if you can find it. Eagle Rare is good and widely available but closer to $40 bottle. Old Grand Dad Bottled-in-Bond is cheap, widely available and makes a good base for an Old Fashioned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Can confirm the quality of Eagle Rare. Excellent for the price point. Old Forester is also worthwhile.
    Last edited by CJM81; April 26th, 2019 at 04:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Eagle Rare is yet another Buffalo Trace bourbon.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM81 View Post
    Can confirm the quality of Eagle Rare. Excellent for the price point. Old Forester is also worthwhile.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Buffalo Trace Eagle Rare, and Weller (when I can find it) are my main go-to's in this price range. I need to try some of the other wheated bourbons like Larceny and Bernheim too. Elmer T. Lee is another great bourbon that I think is still in the $40-ish price range, but at least around here it's even harder to find than Weller or Blantons.

It's interesting to see how McKenna has turned into such a phenomenon. I used to see it on the shelf all the time, which apparently is no longer the case after the recent awards. While I thought it was good, and certainly a reasonable price for a 10-year BiB bourbon, it hasn't been anything that I would actively seek out - maybe I need to revisit it.
    “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
    "The mood will pass, sir.”

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Everything is more expensive north of the border, but if you are drinking it neat, I would suggest Basil Hayden or Elija Craig. Both excellent with a cigar...

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    504 Post(s)
    Splurge and buy Blanton's. John Wick drinks it, and so shall I.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Splurge and buy Blanton's. John Wick drinks it, and so shall I.
    Blanton's is hard to find at liquor stores here in the DC area. Another comparable high end one that is easier to find is Angel's Envy. For a more budget-friendly bourbon I've always had a soft spot for Wild Turkey 101. It's probably most comparable to the Bulleit as it has a fair amount of rye in the grain bill that gives it lots of nice spicey notes. Currently my shelf has Buffalo Trace on it and that is pretty nice too. Also Breakfast Rye from Gray Skies distillery in my home town of Grand Rapids, MI.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain