Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best bourbons under $40

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Best bourbons under $40

In response to today's article, I want to suggest Benchmark as a low-cost, high value bourbon (similar to Evan Williams Black label). It's made by Buffalo Trace, and it is their "entry-level" bourbon.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    562 Post(s)
    I've recently discovered Buffalo Trace and love it. One that was missed that's excellent for about $30 a bottle is Woodford Reserve.

After being devoted to scotches for years, my tastes seem to be trending to bourbon the last year or two. Maybe it's because they are a better value?
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1466 Post(s)
    As a total noob when it comes to bourbon, I thought the article today was a great resource. The article might even be enough to get me out of drinking beer only.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    Weller Antique 107 is fantastic if you can find it. Eagle Rare is good and widely available but closer to $40 bottle. Old Grand Dad Bottled-in-Bond is cheap, widely available and makes a good base for an Old Fashioned.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    Splurge and buy Blanton's. John Wick drinks it, and so shall I.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Splurge and buy Blanton's. John Wick drinks it, and so shall I.
    Blanton's is hard to find at liquor stores here in the DC area. Another comparable high end one that is easier to find is Angel's Envy. For a more budget-friendly bourbon I've always had a soft spot for Wild Turkey 101. It's probably most comparable to the Bulleit as it has a fair amount of rye in the grain bill that gives it lots of nice spicey notes. Currently my shelf has Buffalo Trace on it and that is pretty nice too. Also Breakfast Rye from Gray Skies distillery in my home town of Grand Rapids, MI.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    Blanton's is hard to find at liquor stores here in the DC area. Another comparable high end one that is easier to find is Angel's Envy. For a more budget-friendly bourbon I've always had a soft spot for Wild Turkey 101. It's probably most comparable to the Bulleit as it has a fair amount of rye in the grain bill that gives it lots of nice spicey notes. Currently my shelf has Buffalo Trace on it and that is pretty nice too. Also Breakfast Rye from Gray Skies distillery in my home town of Grand Rapids, MI.
    If you ask a local store to order it, they will usually accommodate you. Blanton's is made at the Buffalo Trace Distillery, so it should be relatively easy for them to get.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Just tried Buffalo trace for the first time and it is definitely worth it. It's the best $20 - 30 dollar bourbon I've had. When I'm feeling cheap, Four Roses is my go-to. At under $20, it's great. If you are looking for something unique and can find it, try Hudson's baby bourbon. It's more expensive at $50 but I believe its close to 100% corn in the mash bill. It takes some getting used too but I find it gives me perspective when trying other bourbons now.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    562 Post(s)
    Another comparable high end one that is easier to find is Angel's Envy.
    Yes, very good--I have a bit left in a bottle of this that a partner gifted me when I left my old firm.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Second almost all this (except I've never had Breakfast Rye) -- Blantons is impossible to find from my experience now. Used to be everywhere. Not sure on pricing (NYC pricing messes me up), but Michter's small batch is pretty delicious and worth a try. My go-to is still Bulleit bourbon for stocking my home shelf with something 'normal' and go-to.