Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best bourbons under $40

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Can confirm the quality of Eagle Rare. Excellent for the price point. Old Forester is also worthwhile.
    Last edited by CJM81; April 26th, 2019 at 03:33 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Second almost all this (except I've never had Breakfast Rye) -- Blantons is impossible to find from my experience now. Used to be everywhere. Not sure on pricing (NYC pricing messes me up), but Michter's small batch is pretty delicious and worth a try. My go-to is still Bulleit bourbon for stocking my home shelf with something 'normal' and go-to.
    I don't think Breakfast Rye is available unless you go to Grand Rapids Michigan and even then you may have to go to the distillery to get a bottle (I'm guessing pours are available at some of the bars around town). I have a friend here that the clerks at his local liquor store know to say "we're out of Blantons" the moment he walks in.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Larceny is my go-to for Mint Juleps for the Derby. Inexpensive, wheated so not as much spice, and perfect for the sweet goodness of a mint julep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    436 Post(s)
    Had some Blanton's at Fiola last time we were there (early April). Really enjoyed it, may see if the class 6 has or can get it. Will be on a massive road trip including through Nashville so if anyone has it available....I'd think there'd be some there.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    436 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    Blanton's is hard to find at liquor stores here in the DC area. Another comparable high end one that is easier to find is Angel's Envy. For a more budget-friendly bourbon I've always had a soft spot for Wild Turkey 101. It's probably most comparable to the Bulleit as it has a fair amount of rye in the grain bill that gives it lots of nice spicey notes. Currently my shelf has Buffalo Trace on it and that is pretty nice too. Also Breakfast Rye from Gray Skies distillery in my home town of Grand Rapids, MI.
    I'm heading through Nashville in a week and a half; won't be back in MD until end of May but if you'd like I'd be happy to mule a bottle back for you. Going to be picking one up for myself anyway.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    I'm heading through Nashville in a week and a half; won't be back in MD until end of May but if you'd like I'd be happy to mule a bottle back for you. Going to be picking one up for myself anyway.
    Thanks for the offer but I'm not the big Blanton's guy - one of my friends is. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but although it's impossible to find in liquor stores it's on plenty of bar shelves, so when I want it I just get it at the bar. Although, I just saw that Henry McKenna single barrel bottled-in-bond 10 year aged bourbon won "best in show" at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition. It retails for a reasonable $30-$40 per bottle, so I may have to hunt for some of that. https://coolmaterial.com/food-drink/...-in-the-world/
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Eagle Rare is yet another Buffalo Trace bourbon.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM81 View Post
    Can confirm the quality of Eagle Rare. Excellent for the price point. Old Forester is also worthwhile.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Buffalo Trace Eagle Rare, and Weller (when I can find it) are my main go-to's in this price range. I need to try some of the other wheated bourbons like Larceny and Bernheim too. Elmer T. Lee is another great bourbon that I think is still in the $40-ish price range, but at least around here it's even harder to find than Weller or Blantons.

It's interesting to see how McKenna has turned into such a phenomenon. I used to see it on the shelf all the time, which apparently is no longer the case after the recent awards. While I thought it was good, and certainly a reasonable price for a 10-year BiB bourbon, it hasn't been anything that I would actively seek out - maybe I need to revisit it.
    “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
    "The mood will pass, sir.”

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Everything is more expensive north of the border, but if you are drinking it neat, I would suggest Basil Hayden or Elija Craig. Both excellent with a cigar...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    Elijiah Craig small batch is the best one under $40 imo.