Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Option for a "Man Bag"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Best Option for a "Man Bag"

Hi everyone, I've been struggling to best answer the question of what type of bag I should wear for everyday use and was looking for some opinions.

I work in a very casual environment (OCBD and dark wash jeans are more than appropriate) so I currently wear a casual messenger bag to work and when I am out an about. Messenger I have now is on the small side and can at most fit an iPad, notebook, and a book in addition to my phone, wallet and keys. Example here. I tend to prefer the small size of the bag I have because it looks odd to me to carry around a 15" messenger bag just for the daily essentials.

While this bag serves my needs functionally I wonder if I could find a bag that is nicer looking and looks less utilitarian, or if I even should. While I was doing some research I came across an opinion of a style "expert" Ashley Weston, which summed up is,

"Messenger bags look horrible on their best day and any self-respecting man should avoid them. A modern briefcase is much more versatile and works in nearly all casual and dressy situations because of one simple thing: the removable shoulder strap. That little strap instantly turns a briefcase into a classy shoulder/messenger-type bag."

This same "expert" suggests a leather backpack is perfect for work in a casual office or need to go to the coffee shop. I wonder what you all think is the best kind of bag for me to carry my everyday items in. What I am looking for right now is a bag I can carry my everyday items in when I go to work, hang out with friends, perhaps a casual party (I am thinking polo and boat shoes type of party), nothing more formal than business casual. My main issue with just buying a briefcase is I don't really like the idea of a large bag for everyday items. I also think the briefcase would be too professional for my everyday needs. In my scenario is a messenger bag or a backpack more appropriate? I am leaning towards a messenger bag because the idea of an outfit with a polo, boat shoes, and a leather backpack strikes me as odd but a leather messenger may look less out of place. I am interested in your thoughts.

FYI, I plan to also acquire a nice briefcase for more professional situations or occasions when I need to carry my laptop somewhere.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    475 Post(s)

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1016 Post(s)
    This all depends on what you call a briefcase. These days that can soft sided leather bags that I would call a leather messenger. I am old school. A briefcase to me is a hard sided rectangle. Take a look at the Gustin horween briefcase. That's a nice grown up carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    219 Post(s)
    What do you need to carry with you when you go out with friends or to a casual party? I only bring my phone, keys, wallet, and a smile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    "Briefcase" doesn't need to be as big as history would typically define it to be. There are some nice slim leather briefcase/messenger bags (with strap) that look good during work and small enough to not be cumbersome after work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PureAndy View Post
    "Briefcase" doesn't need to be as big as history would typically define it to be. There are some nice slim leather briefcase/messenger bags (with strap) that look good during work and small enough to not be cumbersome after work.
    What bag would you say falls into this category? A lot of bags I found seem to be sized for either a 13" or 15" laptop, I would think that would be too big of a bag for days when carrying the laptop is unnecessary. Wouldn't a 13", unstructured messenger bag look odd if it isn't filled sufficiently?

@Loafer28 I prefer to use a notebook and pen for my organization and note taking instead of my smartphone, so it is nice to have those handy. I also prefer to not have my pockets full of stuff, especially as pockets stay the same size but the size of phones continues to balloon.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    It's 2019 - even a non-leather messenger bag is fine in most professional settings these days, so a briefcase or more formal briefcase-style bag is overkill IMO. If you want to split the difference get a leather messenger bag.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    How about this? If not Waterfield has a bunch of different options.

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/t...tech-sling-bag

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    https://makr.com/work-carryall-army
    https://makr.com/new-fold-weekender-...english-bridle
    https://makr.com/sling-tote-black-ca...english-bridle
    Shoutout to local brand Makr. I've carried one of their wallets for nearly a decade and it looks better now than when I got it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I would say structured would still make it a "briefcase". But slim & structured can still look good and have a shoulder strap. Something like this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Brief.../dp/B01NBLCGPQ

The 13" laptop is a tricky size, as an 11" one can fit in what's often called a "quiver bag" (albeit tight). Like these from Will Leather Goods - https://www.willleathergoods.com/pro...-archer-quiver

Ah, the trials and tribulations of being a modern man with laptop in-hand! (I commiserate)