Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Option for a "Man Bag"

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    149 Post(s)
    Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but:

https://www.filson.com/rugged-twill-...-fco-000971914

I carry one every day for work and it's great. Easily my most complimented clothing/accessory related purchase.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)
    My daily carry is a slightly thicker version (267?) that has a computer slot but no padding. It is great but definitely reads as “briefcase”. I wouldn’t, e.g., head to a bar with it for a casual evening out.

I just carried a Barbour Tarras shoulder bag through Italy on holiday for 8 days and it was perfect. If it is lightly loaded, it conforms to your hip and is low key. It will also swallow a rolled up jacket like a Baracuta - I did that a lot and it was still easy to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Deke View Post
    Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but:

https://www.filson.com/rugged-twill-...-fco-000971914

I carry one every day for work and it's great. Easily my most complimented clothing/accessory related purchase.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)
    I think this thread is a little confused because OP is asking for a bag to carry "everyday items" but for both work and social events on the weekend. I'm with Loafer that I just don't carry anything that can't fit in a blazer when I'm not going to work, and then for work I have a Will leather Kent Messenger (one of my favorite things in the world), and for weekends if I need other things a small duffel or tote.

I think nothing really exists, not because there is not a bag that suits this purpose, but because there is little social context and need for such a bag. So, there might be a bag that is funcionally appropriate, but just looks odd because we are not used to seeing it (that SF Crossbody sling bag just looks weird to me, even if it also looks very practical). So, even if things might look too much like a briefcase for casual situations, I don't think I'd head to a bar with any bag, except out of necessity.

My main challenge in this regard is something that will hold my camera (Olympus OMD EM-10 II) if I'm taking it out for the day, that is more sophisticated than a backpack.

I fear that you will always struggle against looking a little like a tourist. That is until you just find a bag you love, wear it all the time, and it just seems natural on you!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    440 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyost3 View Post
    Messenger I have now is on the small side and can at most fit an iPad, notebook, and a book in addition to my phone, wallet and keys. Example here. I tend to prefer the small size of the bag I have because it looks odd to me to carry around a 15" messenger bag just for the daily essentials.

While this bag serves my needs functionally I wonder if I could find a bag that is nicer looking and looks less utilitarian, or if I even should.

I think your bag looks fine. But it's pretty clear that you don't love it, so yes, get another.

That said, I'm surprised that, like you, many people keep their wallet and keys in something other than their pockets only. I've had a few co-workers get locked out of the office after hours and their cars this way. And a lot of times they couldn't call anyone because they left their phones in their briefcases.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    140 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    That said, I'm surprised that, like you, many people keep their wallet and keys in something other than their pockets only. I've had a few co-workers get locked out of the office after hours and their cars this way. And a lot of times they couldn't call anyone because they left their phones in their briefcases.
    Pockets aren't necessarily a help either. I locked myself out of the car a couple of times, and it was the same reason: spring or fall day that starts cold, but has warmed up by the time I reach my destination. I'd get out, flipping the switch to lock the door with the same motion used to open the door, then decide it was too warm for the jacket I'm wearing, take it off, toss the jacket into the car, and close the door. Then realize my jacket contained keys, wallet and phone.

My current car doesn't have the same ergonomic design to unlock and open, or open and lock, with one motion so it's no longer an issue, but it's a little less convenient.

On topic: try searching for attache cases. The categories have gotten a little blurred in recent years, but attache cases are typically slimmer and slightly less formal than a briefcase.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I think your bag looks fine. But it's pretty clear that you don't love it, so yes, get another.

I just don't like the feeling of how full pants feel once you have keys, wallet, phone, and other miscellaneous items in my pockets. With the trend being slimmer pants, rather than cargo shorts, keys and phones tend to bulge once you sit down and its slightly uncomfortable. If I want to carry more than those three things than I would have to carry it in my hands, this is where a bag comes in handy. It's certainly a personal preference and if you don't have a need for one there probably isn't a reason to own one.

I actually like that I can leave my bag and its contents where I leave them and return to them later. I feel the separation from my phone helps make me more engaged and aware of my surroundings. Plus, having a break sometimes is nice.

But to update the search, I found this nice bag that intrigued me. The design seems simple without too many extra pockets. How does this style of bag look?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    440 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyost3 View Post

But to update the search, I found this nice bag that intrigued me. The design seems simple without too many extra pockets. How does this style of bag look?
    I think that's a very handsome bag. I'm wondering about the quality for the price. I don't think it's leather.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    129 Post(s)
    I think that's a very handsome bag. I'm wondering about the quality for the price. I don't think it's leather.
    They're vegan bags, so it's definitely not leather. Polyurethane or PVC.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    440 Post(s)
    Here's a very good looking one for a great price. And I've had a great experience with Herring shoes.

I'm tempted to buy this:

https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/herri.../mahogany-calf

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    475 Post(s)
    Here's a very good looking one for a great price. And I've had a great experience with Herring shoes.

I'm tempted to buy this:

https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/herri.../mahogany-calf
    That's a really cool looking piece, and super-affordable.