Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sport Coat Fit Check

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Sport Coat Fit Check

Bought this today from Spier and Mackay, what do you think of the fit? There's maybe 1/2" to 3/4" of fabric I can let out at the side seems and back seem, but its primarily cotten/linen/silk so I don't know how well that will respond to tailoring.

Last edited by commonlaw12; April 19th, 2019 at 02:58 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    The shoulders seem fine but that’s about it. There’s a lot of pulling at the buttons and the lower back and the jacket looks to be .5” to 1” too short.

What size jacket is this? Slim or Contemporary?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfull View Post
    The shoulders seem fine but that’s about it. There’s a lot of pulling at the buttons and the lower back and the jacket looks to be .5” to 1” too short.

What size jacket is this? Slim or Contemporary?
    46 Contemporary

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    I think you should try a 48 if it’s available. The shoulders might be a touch on the large side with the 48 but everything else should fit better. It’s much easier to take in a jacket that’s a little to big than to let one out that’s too small.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1024 Post(s)
    arent the shoulders the hardest thing to tailor though? It doesnt look super far off so if you want to give it a shot, take it to a tailor. I dont know if S&M leaves and extra fabric to be let out or not. 48 would probably be easier and cheaper (in tailoring cost) to get pretty darn good though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    Sorry if there was any confusion, I was not recommending altering the shoulders as I know how difficult and costly that is. In my experience S&M jackets don’t have much extra fabric to let out. If this jacket is like others I own then it is likely there won’t be enough to completely fix the issues. I just think it would be easier to size up and then have the jacket taken in for an overall better fit than what you would get with the 46. To my eye the jacket is also a touch too short, the 48 is longer and would help alleviate this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Sorry if there was any confusion, I was not recommending altering the shoulders as I know how difficult and costly that is. In my experience S&M jackets don’t have much extra fabric to let out. If this jacket is like others I own then it is likely there won’t be enough to completely fix the issues. I just think it would be easier to size up and then have the jacket taken in for an overall better fit than what you would get with the 46. To my eye the jacket is also a touch too short, the 48 is longer and would help alleviate this.
    Looking at the pictures I agree it appears short, but for whatever reason my iPhone took a potato quality picture. I think it look about the right length IRL, but another 1/2 inch or so won't hurt

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)
    We've heard this before, but there is close to 2" inside to let out. 1 3/4" easily. Margins are on all 3 seams to let it out evenly, not all loaded up on the centre seam.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw12 View Post
    Bought this today from Spier and Mackay, what do you think of the fit? There's maybe 1/2" to 3/4" of fabric I can let out at the side seems and back seem, but its primarily cotten/linen/silk so I don't know how well that will respond to tailoring.

You have a really broad chest. a 48 would probably fit better everywhere. The shoulder on a 48 is only 1 cm larger, not significant.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Too short IMHO.