Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Lightweght Pants

  1. #1
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    592
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    129 Post(s)

    Lightweght Pants

    What do you guys like in a lightweight pant? Oxford Cloth? A light cotton or wool weave? Linen or tech? Maybe seersucker for that southern gentleman look? Slim, or maybe you like it looser to have more airflow? Let's talk pants.

  2. #2
    Varsity Member armedferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sometimes TX, Sometimes MD
    Posts
    1,150
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    378 Post(s)
    Being in a converted swamp, linen and linen/cotton tend to be steadfast go-to options. I also have seersucker, and Spier has some NIIIICCEEE lookin linen, linen/cotton (sondrio!), and VBC fresco options right now.

    I like going more breezy on the fit but as someone who is on 2 a days in the gym, it's difficult to find something that fits my slim dancer's waist and my perky pole dancer's hiney all in the same RTW package. Options are to just get a bigger waist size and have it taken in (depending on pocket placement this can look terrible) or just going MTM. Black Lapel and Alton Lane are pretty spectacular for the latter, if you can get in studio to get measured.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,643
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1002 Post(s)
    I have a pair of cotton/linen that are nice and airy. While not pants, I do have a fresco wool jacket that breathes easily so I'd assume pants would be the same way. As for seersucker, solid color would work best as I find separates a little odd when they are white and blue striped.

  4. #4
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    716
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    219 Post(s)
    I have lightweight chinos, linen/cotton blend, fresco wool, and tropical wool. Some are a little roomier, some fit normally. I have found that nothing can really defeat the humidity in Houston. Fabric weight tends to be the most important factor. You just learn to live with sweat. I find the tech materials are the worst in the humid climate. They may wick moisture, but when there is moisture everywhere, they get confused .

  5. #5
    Dappered Veteran shad0w4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    1,483
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    What do you guys like in a lightweight pant? Oxford Cloth? A light cotton or wool weave? Linen or tech? Maybe seersucker for that southern gentleman look? Slim, or maybe you like it looser to have more airflow? Let's talk pants.
    Linen cotton or linen tropical wool

    Oxford is an absolutely disgusting fabric for pants and shirts, may as well just rub 3000 grit sand paper on your skin and call it a day


    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    Being in a converted swamp, linen and linen/cotton tend to be steadfast go-to options. I also have seersucker, and Spier has some NIIIICCEEE lookin linen, linen/cotton (sondrio!), and VBC fresco options right now.

    I like going more breezy on the fit but as someone who is on 2 a days in the gym, it's difficult to find something that fits my slim dancer's waist and my perky pole dancer's hiney all in the same RTW package. Options are to just get a bigger waist size and have it taken in (depending on pocket placement this can look terrible) or just going MTM. Black Lapel and Alton Lane are pretty spectacular for the latter, if you can get in studio to get measured.
    Word of warning.

    Spiers sondrio are so poorly sized is their issue, they are comically skin tight vs their equivalent Contemporary pants. No idea why they did that but figured i'd point it out as I've tried 2 pairs.

    The VBC Fresco are also a bit trimmer than their contemporary but I can at least move in them, however the pockets are poorly stitched and rip.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator DocDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    3,502
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1311 Post(s)
    I just bought a pair of Uniqlo Kando pants from the Adam Scott line. They are a technical fabric as far as I can tell. So far the weather hasn't warmed up enough to wear them, but I thought I'd give them a shot.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,402
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1019 Post(s)
    linen/cotton blend is a nice option. I have a couple of those. I also have some lightweight chinos that work well. I think they are all cotton but they are thinner for sure. I go a little looser and usually cuff the legs and go sockless. It lets the air in and out and is cooler for sure.

  8. #8
    Varsity Member armedferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sometimes TX, Sometimes MD
    Posts
    1,150
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    378 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shad0w4life View Post
    Linen cotton or linen tropical wool

    Oxford is an absolutely disgusting fabric for pants and shirts, may as well just rub 3000 grit sand paper on your skin and call it a day




    Word of warning.

    Spiers sondrio are so poorly sized is their issue, they are comically skin tight vs their equivalent Contemporary pants. No idea why they did that but figured i'd point it out as I've tried 2 pairs.

    The VBC Fresco are also a bit trimmer than their contemporary but I can at least move in them, however the pockets are poorly stitched and rip.
    Wow, I haven't seen that issue being reported before now. Appreciate the heads-up. Have you brought it up with them, and if so, what did they say?

  9. #9
    Varsity Member Alex.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    327
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shad0w4life View Post
    Oxford is an absolutely disgusting fabric for pants and shirts
    What would you recommend we do with all our OCBD shirts? shoe shine?

  10. #10
    Dappered Veteran shad0w4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    1,483
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    What would you recommend we do with all our OCBD shirts? shoe shine?
    There ya go, quality shoe shine on some worthy shoes!
    I stand by my I've yet to see anyone in an OCBD that made me go damn that's a great outfit I need to copy it, except under a sweater, those tacky buttons are great when under a sweater in winter. Otherwise it's an old chubby man shirt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •