Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightweght Pants

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    221 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    I go a little looser and usually cuff the legs and go sockless. It lets the air in and out and is cooler for sure.
    +1 on sockless

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    Wow, I haven't seen that issue being reported before now. Appreciate the heads-up. Have you brought it up with them, and if so, what did they say?
    FWIW my Sondrios don't fit any different than other S&M purchases. I do know that this season they made an adjustment to the back rise of their trousers to help them drape better. If you have quite the posterior I can see how that would be an issue but it shouldn't change how tight they are everywhere else.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    As a fellow citizen of Texas, I also gravitate towards linen and sockless. However, once we hit mid-July through about mid-October, nothing helps and swamp crotch is inevitable.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1024 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MediumTex View Post
    As a fellow citizen of Texas, I also gravitate towards linen and sockless. However, once we hit mid-July through about mid-October, nothing helps and swamp crotch is inevitable.
    Yeah, in Atlanta too. I know there is a subset of Dapperred and traditional style that says shorts arent "grown up" or whatever, but nah, thats not me during the summer. Cotton/linen blend shorts and well fitting quick dry tech style boxer briefs all day every day.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)
    Most of my summer pants are cotton. Have a couple linen but they have tended to shrink when washed so they wind up fitting great for a wash cycle or two and then too small after that. A little extra room for air flow is nice, but I think the key is something with an open weave. That can be done with cotton, linen or wool. Tropical weight wool with an open weave is certainly dressiest for a formal workplace or wedding. Linen generally produces an open weave just because of the nature of the fiber. I find it cool in the shade but it gets to feeling really hot in direct sunlight - something I've also noticed with synthetic fabrics - cooler than cotton in the shade but the direct sun seems to heat them up fast to uncomfortably warm temps. Maybe in the case of linen it's just sun coming in the open weave and heating up my skin?
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1024 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    Most of my summer pants are cotton. Have a couple linen but they have tended to shrink when washed so they wind up fitting great for a wash cycle or two and then too small after that. A little extra room for air flow is nice, but I think the key is something with an open weave. That can be done with cotton, linen or wool. Tropical weight wool with an open weave is certainly dressiest for a formal workplace or wedding. Linen generally produces an open weave just because of the nature of the fiber. I find it cool in the shade but it gets to feeling really hot in direct sunlight - something I've also noticed with synthetic fabrics - cooler than cotton in the shade but the direct sun seems to heat them up fast to uncomfortably warm temps. Maybe in the case of linen it's just sun coming in the open weave and heating up my skin?
    Do you line dry or machine dry your pants? And wash on warm or cold water? I lost a lot of my shrinkage issues when I stopped machine drying and only washed on cold. Also slows down the color fading.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    Do you line dry or machine dry your pants? And wash on warm or cold water? I lost a lot of my shrinkage issues when I stopped machine drying and only washed on cold. Also slows down the color fading.
    I generally machine dry anything that says it's machine dry-able. I line dry raw denim and some other garments that specifically say to line dry. If I take another flyer on linen pants I will probably line dry them given the experience I've had with that fabric.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    140 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    I generally machine dry anything that says it's machine dry-able. I line dry raw denim and some other garments that specifically say to line dry. If I take another flyer on linen pants I will probably line dry them given the experience I've had with that fabric.
    I pretty much stopped using a dryer at all, after the dryer blew a fuse. After a couple of loads, I realized that between my region's soft water and how a front loader leaves the clothes more damp than wet the dryer was unnecessary. About the only time I noticed the difference was jeans and towels, and then only for the first use after washing. Helped that I had an unusually large drying stand that could accommodate two large loads.

More on topic: Oxford cloth JCF for lightweight pants. In direct sunlight I'll take pants over shorts for the sun protection, as long as there's enough airflow. I imagine I'd feel differently in high humidity, however.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    221 Post(s)
    I recently purchased the Flint and Tinder cool Chinos. I had been looking for Made in USA chinos with a slightly higher rise than many of the options out there. So far, I love them. They have a more substantial feel than my JCrew lightweight chinos, so they drape better, and they seem to breathe better as well. It’s only April and I may be jumping the gun. I will try to report back in July.

https://huckberry.com/store/flint-an...64-cool-chinos

I know they are pricey but the fit is spectacular. If they perform, they will be worth every penny in my book.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1024 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    I pretty much stopped using a dryer at all, after the dryer blew a fuse. After a couple of loads, I realized that between my region's soft water and how a front loader leaves the clothes more damp than wet the dryer was unnecessary. About the only time I noticed the difference was jeans and towels, and then only for the first use after washing. Helped that I had an unusually large drying stand that could accommodate two large loads.

More on topic: Oxford cloth JCF for lightweight pants. In direct sunlight I'll take pants over shorts for the sun protection, as long as there's enough airflow. I imagine I'd feel differently in high humidity, however.
    Yeah, the humidity makesnpants tougher. But I have worn pants and even long sleeve shirts for festivals in sustained sun. It's like portable shade. Lightweight materials of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk