Thread: Best Suits Sold as Separates?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Best Suits Sold as Separates?

Nested pairs don't work for me as I don't fit in the standard drop zones very well.

With that said, any suggestions on where I should look for a quality fabric/construction suit? I'm also interested in a 3-piece suit just to complicate things.

I think that I will likely get a better fit getting separates and having them tailored than going the online MTM route which I've been scared off of.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Suitsupply sells some of its models as separates, if that's within your budget and style preference
    https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/separates

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    140 Post(s)
    Spier & Mackay doesn't advertise suit separates, but since they also sell trousers they'll usually be willing to swap the trousers if you ask. It's subject to sufficient stock, of course. I believe the usual procedure is to place an order then email with your order number and requested swap details.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by identitycrisis View Post
    With that said, any suggestions on where I should look for a quality fabric/construction suit? I'm also interested in a 3-piece suit just to complicate things.
    What level of quality fabric and construction are you looking for?
    Banana Republic has 3-piece suit that are all sold separately. With some promo code stacking during a big sale, I got all three for around $260.
    They are made of Italian wool, from Marzotto, to be specific, and fused. Not the best, but still a very good quality for the price, and they usually last me at least 2-3 years with weekly wear.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    170 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mochi123 View Post
    Banana Republic has 3-piece suit that are all sold separately. With some promo code stacking during a big sale, I got all three for around $260.
    They are made of Italian wool, from Marzotto, to be specific, and fused. Not the best, but still a very good quality for the price, and they usually last me at least 2-3 years with weekly wear.
    JCrew Ludlow suits are half canvassed and sold as separates. On the right sale, can get them around $350.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mochi123 View Post
    Looking for half or full-canvas (more likely half). And Super 110s or better from reliable mills (if that matters). Some where in the $500-750 range (under that works too! lol)

The Spier & McKay info posted above is good info. I've spoken to a rep from them before and they were hesitant about the drop from chest to waist in the jacket (43 chest, 32 waist) and it being tough to tailor properly from their "contemporary fit" (they don't offer 44 in a slim) and suggested going the MTM route that they plan to offer soon (again I'm hesitant about the online MTM).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    @identitycrisis Do you have a Suitsupply located near you? Online the options are a bit sparse but in my experience they are more accommodating with trousers swaps in store, provided that they have the proper stock. Might be worth a shot making a trip over to one if you can.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfull View Post
    @identitycrisis Do you have a Suitsupply located near you? Online the options are a bit sparse but in my experience they are more accommodating with trousers swaps in store, provided that they have the proper stock. Might be worth a shot making a trip over to one if you can.
    Was actually in the San Francisco store earlier this week. Guy didn't make any mention of swapping the nested pair, but good to know. Perhaps another sales person would be willing or if I made a more direct request.