Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk mental health!

Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1453 Post(s)
    @Ron get back on your bike! You won't regret it!

@idvsego good job on chatting with your kids. The pressure kids are under these days must be crazy intense.

Somewhere on my internet travels I came across a story talking about how Instagram influencers (whatever the heck that means) went about posting their stories and images. Turns out they take multiple, multiple, poses and shots just to come across as looking natural. Turns out there is nothing natural about it. I think may of us know this, but when you are bombarded with image after image of a person casually lounging by the pool, flying to Hong Kong, eating a steak dinner, etc. I think it's easy to believe everyone lives like this.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    @Ron get back on your bike! You won't regret it!

@idvsego good job on chatting with your kids. The pressure kids are under these days must be crazy intense.

Somewhere on my internet travels I came across a story talking about how Instagram influencers (whatever the heck that means) went about posting their stories and images. Turns out they take multiple, multiple, poses and shots just to come across as looking natural. Turns out there is nothing natural about it. I think may of us know this, but when you are bombarded with image after image of a person casually lounging by the pool, flying to Hong Kong, eating a steak dinner, etc. I think it's easy to believe everyone lives like this.
    @DocDave I wish I could. I have been trying to find ways around my injury so I can ride. Doctors, therapists, new bike configurations, etc. I won't bother you with the details but unfortunately the condition is getting worse and it is greatly exacerbated by riding. Believe me I think about it every single day.

I fought the good fight as a friend of mine said but sometimes we lose.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    A few things have helped me. I'm pretty introverted. Married, employed, but pretty friendless. It gets lonely sometimes. I'm also a natural worrier. Weightlifting helps me feel better physically, though depending on my programming it can be anxiety inducing too. Basically any physical activity is a benefit to my physical and mental state. Beyond that, I've found that Stoicism has been a great help in thinking through the emotions and putting them in proper prospective. Meditation is something I have made a few attempts at, but haven't stuck to it. If you guys have any tips on sticking with it I'm all ears. I've tried Sam Harris' Waking Up app and like it a lot. Just haven't stuck with it.

These are all "solo" strategies admittedly. I'm sure some regular socialization and some friends would be a big boost but I have a hard time finding other people with similar interests and well... social awkwardness and introversion don't help the situation.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1076 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Charles View Post
    A few things have helped me. I'm pretty introverted. Married, employed, but pretty friendless. It gets lonely sometimes. I'm also a natural worrier. Weightlifting helps me feel better physically, though depending on my programming it can be anxiety inducing too. Basically any physical activity is a benefit to my physical and mental state. Beyond that, I've found that Stoicism has been a great help in thinking through the emotions and putting them in proper prospective. Meditation is something I have made a few attempts at, but haven't stuck to it. If you guys have any tips on sticking with it I'm all ears. I've tried Sam Harris' Waking Up app and like it a lot. Just haven't stuck with it.

These are all "solo" strategies admittedly. I'm sure some regular socialization and some friends would be a big boost but I have a hard time finding other people with similar interests and well... social awkwardness and introversion don't help the situation.
    I use Waking Up and just completed 1,000 minutes of meditation. It takes getting used to and I am not always in the mindset but there are some days I really like it but I would say 3-4 per week are just getting time to breathe.

Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1453 Post(s)
    @Ron sorry to hear about your injury. Too bad you're now able to get back in to riding. I bit it riding a few years ago and stopped riding because of the fear of biting it again. But now that I've taken it up again, I am enjoying riding all over again. Mind you I am not to keen about riding in packs.

@Mr. Charles Finding friends is difficult. For me I found that activities was a good way to get out and meet people. That said, I did/do have to put myself out there. Walking in to a setting where everyone knows each other, and you're the new kid on the block, can be challenging. So I get where you're coming from, especially if you are introverted. I guess one thing is, are you looking to break out and meet new people? Are you looking for suggestions/ideas?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    @Ron sorry to hear about your injury. Too bad you're now able to get back in to riding. I bit it riding a few years ago and stopped riding because of the fear of biting it again. But now that I've taken it up again, I am enjoying riding all over again. Mind you I am not to keen about riding in packs.
    Thanks Dave. I wasn't a fan of riding in a paceline either. Most of my road rides were long fundrasing charity rides where speed was not of the essence.

I preferred to be in the woods where getting running over by cars was not an issue, lol.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I use Waking Up and just completed 1,000 minutes of meditation. It takes getting used to and I am not always in the mindset but there are some days I really like it but I would say 3-4 per week are just getting time to breathe.
    Wow, I'm surprised to see a few other Sam Harris fans out in the wild. I was already meditating, but I have been using his app since it launched. That 10 minutes a day is a great accountability partner for my meditation practice. I use it as a base, still doing other meditations at other times, and also extend beyond the 10 minutes on my own quite often.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1076 Post(s)
    So I recently heard another family member has had heart issues in their 50s. I would have considered this person pretty healthy, at least the last 10 years, so it has strained me mentally since finding this out. There is a direct blood linkage so this affects me. My brother and father who both had heart issues and have passed away, smoked and lived stressful lives which are big indicators for potential heart issues. Maybe this person lived a stressful life which I am not seeing?

I am just sort of spewing thoughts here but I never thought I'd worry about death at 33. I don't want to be propped up with medicine as that is not an appealing way to live. Maybe my mind will change as I age and I still have 20 years until my 50s but sometimes things just hit you like a ton of bricks and stay with you for a while.

Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1453 Post(s)
    I have a similar story @JBarwick

A couple of people in my family - uncles, grandma - have had heart issues. Mind you they were/are not very healthy, whereas I exercise regularly. Anyway...

I was at my doctor and telling him this when I asked "should I be worried about heart issues given my family history?" And his reply? "Yes".

Ha! That floored me. I figured I was good but no. His answer totally caught me off guard. I'm not stressing over it, but at times I do try to consider what i'm eating and it does give me some added incentive to keep fit. Of course I say this, knowing I chowed down on a big brisket sandwich about a week ago...

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1076 Post(s)
    @DocDave - I have my off days but try to keep eating healthy. I realize no matter how good I take care of myself, my genes will get me at some point.