Thread: Purchasing a suit/blazer/sport coat off of eBay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Purchasing a suit/blazer/sport coat off of eBay

When buying a suit/blazer/sportcoat off of eBay, which measurement should I be focusing on the jacket to determine whether it will fit me or not in the shoulders? Is it the shoulder to shoulder measurement or the pit to pit/chest measurement?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by migui0323 View Post
    When buying a suit/blazer/sportcoat off of eBay, which measurement should I be focusing on the jacket to determine whether it will fit me or not in the shoulders? Is it the shoulder to shoulder measurement or the pit to pit/chest measurement?
    Shoulders come first and are non-negotiable. The pit-to-pit measurement is for the chest, not the shoulders. Make sure, though, that the pit-to-pit isn't too small for your chest, because it's harder for a tailor to make a jacket bigger than it is to slim it down.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    300 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by migui0323 View Post
    As mlstein mentioned, shoulder to shoulder most definitely. If it's not a listed measurement, I'll always ask (unless it's a brand and size I'm familiar with). A tighter or slightly looser chest won't be as noticeable (especially if you leave it unbuttoned) than shoulders that are too wide (or too narrow for that matter, but I feel wider is more noticable/unsightly).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

An engineer replies

Agreed that shoulder is more important than chest, but only by ~1in (yes I am an engineer). Percentage wise; chest is more exacting measurement.

For example: I’m a 46 jacket (extra tall, if I were to go with classic sizing....so I appreciate the current chopped tail trend, b/c I can still make 46L work)

For shoulder measurements, I’ve learned I’m looking for 20”.
    I can make 19.5” work
    I’ll wear a 21” shoulder but that’s pushing it.

For chest, a size 46 = 48”
    I can get away with 47” (might not be able to button it closed), but not 46”.

I will wear a 50”.. but rarely. If I really like the jacket and it’s a more casual jacket. Thinking about it; most of the time I wear 50” chest are summer weight jackets that are (a) casual and (b) loose for circulation (seersucker, etc)