Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warm weather Vacation suit?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1024 Post(s)

Warm weather Vacation suit?

Headed to Mexico later this year and might pick up a suit for the nicer dinner spots. I don't wear suits much so I don't want super expensive. Thinking about the JCrew options of course. Maybe a cotton linen blend. Any thought? Realistically I will be indoors for the most part so a normal suit would work too. And be more useful later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    How hot do you expect it to be where you're going? And the suit will be just for evenings? Not for business meetings during the day?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1024 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMann View Post
    How hot do you expect it to be where you're going? And the suit will be just for evenings? Not for business meetings during the day?
    Going in September. Looks like highs of 90 and lows in mid 70s. So probably like 80 when I will be wearing it. No, I have zero business need for a suit. I work from home and even when I go to the office, nobody wears more than wool pants or maybe a sports coat. Mostly chinos and polos.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    369 Post(s)
    Minnis Fresco wool is nice for hot weather. If it is lined, Bemberg is most breathable. But, you may want to try unlined.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    440 Post(s)
    I've been on vacation to different parts of Mexico many times. I can't recall seeing anybody wearing a suit ever. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. But you could probably get by with a linen or linen/cotton blend blazer. That's what I've always done.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    281 Post(s)
    Traveling with linen is not fun. I have an unlined khaki cotton suit, which can be worn as separates, that I usually take on such trips.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1024 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    I've been on vacation to different parts of Mexico many times. I can't recall seeing anybody wearing a suit ever. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. But you could probably get by with a linen or linen/cotton blend blazer. That's what I've always done.
    There is some swanky dinner party thing that my wife wants to go to. People on the Facebook group have posted pics and now she is considering dressing snazzy.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1024 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplayerking View Post
    Traveling with linen is not fun. I have an unlined khaki cotton suit, which can be worn as separates, that I usually take on such trips.
    I bailed on all linen after my first "tropical" trip. Now I have several cotton blend items and they aren't as bad. I want to check out the chino options too though. Feels more useful.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    440 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    There is some swanky dinner party thing that my wife wants to go to. People on the Facebook group have posted pics and now she is considering dressing snazzy.

Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    I bailed on all linen after my first "tropical" trip. Now I have several cotton blend items and they aren't as bad. I want to check out the chino options too though. Feels more useful.

If it's a swanky dinner party in September, meaning it's going to be sunset around 7:30 (depending on where in Mexico, it would be any time from around 7-8), I'd go with a summer weight wool in not too light a color.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    The JCrew "unsuit" linen/ cotton blend is fantastic. Super light, unlined, and you can wear the jacket separately. It'll wrinkle a bit but not as bad as a 100% linen suit.
    You can dress it up with a tie and formal white shirt, or go more casual with a short sleeved polo shirt.