Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suit for graduation/grad school??

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Suit for graduation/grad school??

Hey everyone, I was just looking for some advice on a suit to get for my college graduation and to have for a few events for graduate school. I have a very dark navy suit right now thatís a little tight but still wearable, and Iím looking to get some kind of grey suit to bolster my closet. What color grey would be best? I think a charcoal might be too dark but worried a medium grey might be too casual looking. Ive been looking at Spier and Mackay and Suitsupply (I might prefer Spier and Mackay for the cheaper price and half canvas construction, but there is a Suitsupply near me where I could try on before buying). Iíve seen some medium greys on Spier and Mackay that look pretty light colored and some that are darker, so Iím thinking a ďdarker medium greyĒ might be the way to go. Probably going to avoid patterns for now too. Also for reference Iím pretty fair-skinned, but I tan easily in the summer. The grad program Iím going into is health administration, so seems fairly conservative dress but not too formal. And I would appreciate any advice on S&M vs SS. Thanks!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    180 Post(s)
    Brooks Brothers has a bunch of 1818 suits in the sale section that are $399.00 with the current code.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    440 Post(s)
    You'll be fine even with a lighter medium gray. You'll rarely be accused of being too casual if you're wearing a suit and tie.

If you're looking for something to wear to your graduation ceremony, and it's in the daytime, I agree that you'll probably find charcoal too dark.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    416 Post(s)
    Granted it was over 13 years ago but for my graduation it was way too warm to wear a suit under the cap and gown in Virginia. I would’ve been sweltering in a suit.

But outside graduation for interviews and such another suit isn’t bad if your budget allows. I’d probably go charcoal for versatility. Unsure what profession you may go into but if a more traditional profession might be better and can double for the funeral or other more formal occasion.

Cannot go wrong with either a medium or charcoal and I’ve been very happy with S&M.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    140 Post(s)
    Dark suits can easily be made less formal through colourful or patterned shirts, ties, pocket squares, etc. A light suit creates a maximum level of possible formality. When looking at your second suit, especially one likely to be used for presentations and interviews, it makes sense to favour a more formal option.

That said, any of the medium grays offered by S&M would be acceptable in all but the most formal situations.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    170 Post(s)
    Pretty sure I wore a t-shirt and jeans under my gown for my college graduation. Law school graduation, I actually wore a suit, and regretted it because it hot pretty hot. Although the inside coat pocket was handy for a flask to make the long ceremony a bit more bearable.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    I wore a shirt & tie (no blazer) under my gown for both undergrad and master's. Probably will do the same for PhD, mainly for the reasons others have mentioned. I think your dark navy would be sufficiently conservative for interviews and such, so agree with those who say medium-to-light gray would be fine. At your age, you're probably more likely to be wearing a suit to a spate of weddings in your mid-to-late 20s, with lots of those taking place in the spring and summer months. A mid-gray would be perfect for those. If your dark navy suit fits well enough (or could be tailored to), it would probably do you just fine for the few more conservative occasions you may encounter.

What does your sportcoat collection look like? One thing to consider is that you may get more mileage out of a really nice, versatile staple blazer that you might wear much more often than a suit. Something you could pull out for work functions, date nights, etc., where a suit might be too much.

Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1983 Post(s)
    You’re going to be wearing an academic gown... pretty sure you can skip the jacket. I’d get a mid-to-dark grey suit for the other events.
    Ben

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    440 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Pretty sure I wore a t-shirt and jeans under my gown for my college graduation. Law school graduation, I actually wore a suit, and regretted it because it hot pretty hot. Although the inside coat pocket was handy for a flask to make the long ceremony a bit more bearable.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    You’re going to be wearing an academic gown... pretty sure you can skip the jacket. I’d get a mid-to-dark grey suit for the other events.
    Yes, depending on where you are, you could be in for a rough time with a jacket under your gown. I would have been for my undergrad ceremony considering the 90 plus degree weather, and outside daytime ceremony.

That said, the OP might be thinking about going out afterwards with friends and family. I suggest he consider leaving his jacket in the car (or someone else's car if he doesn't have one there), then you can put that on afterwards.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Yeah, the idea is to wear the jacket for pictures with family and friends before graduation, take it off for the actual ceremony, and probably wear it after the ceremony for dinner. I remember even my high school graduation got very hot with all of us crowded in together, and I just wore a shirt and tie under my gown for that. And I think a medium grey from Spier and Mackay will probably work best for me overall. Thanks!