Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End of Jcrew OCBD, they all have stretch now

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

End of Jcrew OCBD, they all have stretch now

Saw the 40% code on Jcrew and thought I might get a new white OCBD for Easter. Everything has stretch, ie quality has gone down.

Checked out jcrew factory too. Those jcrew factory ocbd used to be a killer deal on sale. Now its flex OCBD.

The end of nigh, folks. Getting to be a man cant buy a non stretch/non junk shirt these days unless you pay a lot more for it.

I think its just hidden inflation. Man made junk is cheaper than decent cotton. Fill up all the clothes with it, costs go down. Prices stay the same.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Just because an item has stretch doesn’t mean the quality has been reduced. There are high and low quality synthetics, just as there are high and low quality natural fibers.

The fact that you may not like synthetics or synthetic blends is a separate issue from quality.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    The jcrew OCBD shirt actually doesn't have any stretch material. It's a specially engineered cotton. I have a few of their shirts that have what they call mechanical stretch. I think the quality is decent and they are actually very comfortable. Personally I like the hint of stretch that those shirts have.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1046 Post(s)
    You can get MTM shirts from S&M for cheaper than full-priced JCrew.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    435 Post(s)
    Lands' End makes great ones still. The extremely nice Supima one is in the $50 range normal pricing, and there's a 40% off code/pin going right now putting it at $30. I have two and love them.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    225 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    You can get MTM shirts from S&M for cheaper than full-priced JCrew.
    Who buys full price JCrew? That's like buying full price JAB.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1046 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Who buys full price JCrew? That's like buying full price JAB.
    I did one time in 2010. A purple gingham shirt which I don't own anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edmunder View Post
    Saw the 40% code on Jcrew and thought I might get a new white OCBD for Easter. Everything has stretch, ie quality has gone down.

Checked out jcrew factory too. Those jcrew factory ocbd used to be a killer deal on sale. Now its flex OCBD.

The end of nigh, folks. Getting to be a man cant buy a non stretch/non junk shirt these days unless you pay a lot more for it.

I think its just hidden inflation. Man made junk is cheaper than decent cotton. Fill up all the clothes with it, costs go down. Prices stay the same.
    As others commented, not all synthetic fibers are the same.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty View Post
    The jcrew OCBD shirt actually doesn't have any stretch material. It's a specially engineered cotton. I have a few of their shirts that have what they call mechanical stretch. I think the quality is decent and they are actually very comfortable. Personally I like the hint of stretch that those shirts have.
    There are also 100% wool weaves that have stretch now as well. To keep up with athleisure and so clothes feel like they fit without tailoring many, a lot of the old fabric industries are coming up with new innovations with out adding poly

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    435 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dun View Post
    There are also 100% wool weaves that have stretch now as well. To keep up with athleisure and so clothes feel like they fit without tailoring many, a lot of the old fabric industries are coming up with new innovations with out adding poly
    It's indeed a brave new world. What a time to be alive.