Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do you throw away undershirt?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)

When do you throw away undershirt?

I wear an undershirt under my dress shirt, and I noticed that I have more than I actually need.

However, most of them are in an OK shape. As long as they serve their purpose, I don't mind them looking a little worn, since nobody will see it anyways. So I don't want to toss some of them just for the sake of tidying down my closet.
    If you wear an undershirt, at what condition do you decide that it's time for that undershirt to go?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1001 Post(s)
    I have ~10 and replace once a year. I decided on 10 because it is 2 work weeks and something could come up over the weekend causing laundry to be an issue. I replace once a year because new shirts (along with new socks) feel great.

I've decided these items are more disposable and toss them unless they are wool socks in which case I keep them longer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I replace them once they start looking grimy..

Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1983 Post(s)
    If you have too many you can cut them up and use them as rags for cleaning, shining shoes, etc.

Personally I haven’t worn undershirts in years.
    Ben

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    300 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    If you have too many you can cut them up and use them as rags for cleaning, shining shoes, etc.

Personally I haven’t worn undershirts in years.
    I was just about to say that. Mine become my shoe cleaning rags.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    140 Post(s)
    A lot depends on how, and how often, the shirts are laundered. That more than any other factor determines when they wear out; I replace them when they go threadbare since it's a function rather than form item.

Using a top-load washer (with an agitator) or a dryer will inflict a lot of damage compared to a front-loader or hanging to dry.

One suggestion I make is to avoid bleach, and use hydrogen peroxide (e.g. Oxiclean, Resolve) to remove stains and keep them looking new. It doesn't damage the fabric, is generally colour-safe, and can even remove anti-perspirant marks.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    300 Post(s)
    Also, they make good shirts for your dog, especially if they just had major surgery and you want to keep him from licking his stitches.

(Toby from 2015, the under shirts look better on him than me!)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    309 Post(s)
    I don't wear much undershirt at all since the last 5 years or so.

I've worn only two brands: Hanes, Calvin Klein

Hanes would develop holes, lost its shape, and collars worn out and lost its elasticity. Definitely it's gone when the collars were not presentable anymore, and when there were holes.

Calvin Klein seems to last forever. I still keep a few but many I've used as a rag.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)
    Wear an undershirt every day for dress shirts and woek. When the armpits color, holes or a misshapen collar they get removed.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    610 Post(s)
    I try to get all i can out of mine. i use bleach when I can get them all together in a single wash load, and bluing to whiten them every couple months.

usually by the time they have little stains i just keep going until they have holes or are falling apart.

they're basically just on my body so my sweat doesn't get on my brooks brothers shirts so who knows. no one ever sees them lol.

it takes a lot, but my undershirts will eventually get demoted to shoe polish duty after they're really far gone.