Thread: The weight loss club may not like me after this

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    378 Post(s)

The weight loss club may not like me after this

MIL was in town so we treated her tonight (she had a completely shit year last year so she's earned it). Took her to Fiola in DC, Michelin Star dining. Four courses:

Foie Gras Torchon with Venetian Sweet & Sour Onions, Sicilian Pistachio, Rhubarb:

IMG_20190403_211312_864 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Rabbit Cappelletti with Wild Fennel, Guanciale, Pecorino Foglie Noce:

IMG_20190403_211312_865 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Rosemary-Smoked Wagyu Beef with Maitake Mushrooms, Salsify, Pesto Invernale:

20190403_200240 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Fiola Rocher with Gianduia Chocolate, Soft Caramel, Fior Di Latte Gelato.

IMG_20190403_211312_886 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    378 Post(s)
    And for dessert, Blanton's single barrel on a massive rock.

IMG_20190403_204024_990 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    And for dessert, Blanton's single barrel on a massive rock.

IMG_20190403_204024_990 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr
    I'm a vegetarian so while I wouldn't be able to appreciate the first few dishes, I did appreciate the artistry by which they were prepared.

The dessert and bourbon are another story however. I'm not tempted though, not at all. I'm just going to sit here and

appreciate my oatmeal and blueberries instead

It's very nice that you treated your mother in law to such a fine meal. I am sure she enjoyed the meal and the gesture.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1002 Post(s)
    I never liked Fois Gras. Tough to find these days as animal welfare has become a big concern. I would try the other dishes though.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    378 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I never liked Fois Gras. Tough to find these days as animal welfare has become a big concern. I would try the other dishes though.
    The majority of fine dining establishments in the US utilize Hudson Valley, which is cage-free, non-force-fed. They just make *WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY* more food than is necessary available, and the ducks go nuts, becoming very fat and happy. They also use the Moulard ducks, which are non-flying ducks unexcited by open water, and which have a knack for storing fat in the liver naturally (without being force-fed). I'll only have it when I know it came from such a situation, as I am with anyone with a shred of decency in that just because an animal becomes food, doesn't mean it has to be treated like crap beforehand.

Also, always in small doses. By itself it's extremely rich, but the presentation above was impeccable, and the pairing with the pickled onion and rhubarb was beyond impressive. I also got it so MIL could try it without feeling obligated to eat an entire serving if she didn't like it, and she said while rich it was very tasty.

Missus doesn't care for it, but she's at least tried it, as she also tried the razor clam amuse we were treated to as a thank-you for the return visit. She wasn't keen on that either, but life is boring if you stick with the same old thing all the time. I was treated to words at the very first Tough Mudder I ran, and have tried to incorporated it more and more frequently as my body decides it's taking a bigger and bigger dump on me...."When was the last time you tried something for the first time?"

Food, physical/mental challenge, experiences. Everyone should try new ones whenever they can. I, for example, will be playing with otters in just over a week. Because I never have before, so why not?
    Last edited by armedferret; April 5th, 2019 at 01:10 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Man, sounds like a really nice dinner and experience.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    378 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paintflinger View Post
    Man, sounds like a really nice dinner and experience.
    I'm of the mentality everyone should try it at least once. Doesn't have to be Michelin level, and good LORD would I never blame someone for not wanting to fork over the cheddar.

My dad's up next, and while he's had some dang good stuff in Chicago when visiting my sister, I know he's a huge fan of fish/seafood so I think Plume or Fiola would be a major win for him. Probably fly him out in June sometime.