Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dappered Hiking Pants/Boots?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    Well, I plan on making two pairs hiking pants that can zip off to be shorts. I know I'm going to do things that would make them "undappered" but I don't care because I personally like carrying my water bottles in cargo pockets when I am on the trail.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Quoted
    989 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by akosmowski View Post
    Well, I plan on making two pairs hiking pants that can zip off to be shorts. I know I'm going to do things that would make them "undappered" but I don't care because I personally like carrying my water bottles in cargo pockets when I am on the trail.
    My hiking stuff is function then form. I only hike/camp in cargos and most of them are water resistant and easy to wipe clean. I try to make sure they fit well and I stay in a color family so that I coordinate though.

Like I said, I struggle with footwear because the stuff that looks good and performs well is pretty expensive for something with a short shelf life. An expensive pair of hiking boots wont last forever like a good pair of AE or something. The use is just different. You have to find that balance. Now if you are a person that likes to walk in the woods on well packed paths or paved trails then you can get away with a lot of options. I wear chukkas or running shoes on those types of walks and do fine.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    I've got a couple of pairs of Mountain Hardwear AP pants that get pressed into hiking duty. A little bit of flex, but they don't look like stretch pants and I'm totally comfortable getting a post-hike beer in these.

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/men...or=233#start=0

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Quoted
    989 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robottawa View Post

Basically, what would you wear on a hiking date? I feel like if I have better-looking hiking gear, the more likely I'll be to actually plan hikes and organize groups to go.
    I missed this part of the post somehow. Lets define your hikes. If you arent doing more than a few miles and you are walking on well established trails, you dont even need specialty gear, just comfortable gear. People over think hiking sometimes. If you arent doing 10 miles or carrying any kind of load, you dont need anything special. I over-gear when I hike alone, just in case. I have taken my then 6 year old girl on a 7 mile hike that had inclines so steep the park put up a knotted rope and she was wearing old navy athletic gear and sketchers. I had on some dockers shorts, running shoes, and a linen button up and a tank top under it. Carried a 20L daypack with snacks, water, spare socks (because kids), and everyones phones.

If I were going on a group hike I would wear comfy chinos (add a base layer if its chilly), a pair of danner type boots, layer my top, and a small daypack. Because there is no better way to break the ice half way through a hike than to offer water or a clif bar to someone. Want to go the extra mile? carry a couple of little butt pads and some hand sanitizer or wipes. Pad keeps your butt dry and warm if you have to sit on the ground or makes a rock slightly less uncomfortable...and a lady will appreciate that. I appreciate that. I made my own out of a roll of Reflectix from your local home improvement store but you can also buy them. Also a small blister kit. A roll on bandaid stick, some of the new blister bandaids, and some regular bandaids. And advil. Odds are if you are in a hiking group they will be more impressed by your thoughtfulness and preparedness than your shoes.

https://smile.amazon.com/Therm-Rest-.../dp/B01MQRHYJV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I think this is much more a function over form time. I personally do all my backpacking in Patagonia baggies and throw tights on under if it’s cold. On top is any number of synthetic or wool baselayer tops I have. As for shoes, you DO NOT need hiking boots any nearly all thru hikers and serious backpackers wear trail runners as they’re lighter, more comfortable and breathable. Regarding someone’s comment about “adult” color schemes, bright colors will photograph better in the outdoors. If the people you’re with are hikers I think they’ll be more impressed by your hiking ability than outfit.

Also no cotton! Doesn’t dry, wick and just isn’t comfortable.