Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shoe Repair/Resoling

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    The AE recraft has become a bit of a lottery lately with the changes the company has been through. There are many cobblers you can send your shoes to and be sure they'll the best job. I can recommend steve doudaklian at leatherrepair.com or nushoe.com unless shipping the shoes is too much hassle.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    644 Post(s)
    I've had five recrafts, and all of them were impeccable. the shoes looked brand new.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    A good pair of shoes that will last you another decade are well worth it. For the price you can either gamble on finding a used pair or get your old favorites back into service. While I've not had AE repair any of my shoes, I spent the bucks to have some shell cordovan brogues resoled and it was well worth it.

I say send them in and give them the love they deserve.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I've been slowly converting all my AE shoes to J. Rendenbach soles (through B. Nelson) when it's time to resole. Haven't used AE's own recrafting service so I can't compare the two, but the Rendenbach soles wear so much more slowly than the standard AE ones that it seems worth the added price.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    I work in Manhattan and have a long walk to the subway so Iím tough on shoes. Iíve used AE partial or full recraft about 5 times.

Usually they come back almost good as new. An amazing way to add years of wear to a shoe for around $100.

Unfortunately my last batch of recrafts didnít come back great. I have a small spot of edge dressing in the middle of my walnut McAllisters (my mistake, I dripped when I was polishing them.) I thought theyíd get the spot out or blend it in, but they didnít.

Also ó my very favorite and most comfortable pair of AEs, black chukka boots with a bit of brougeing and a subtle blue lining (I think they are Bleecker Streets), were all but ruined by recrafting. I wore them walking through Venice and Rome and tons of work trips. I had them redone with a Danite sole which seemed fitting for a boot. They came back with uncomfortable humps in the footbed. I sent them back for a second look and I donít think they did anything. Maybe changing to Danite messed them up? If thatís a known problem, I wish they would have told me before making the switch.

I think I generally would recommend AE recraft but be careful. Also if you live near an AE store, they will ship them for you at no cost. It does add to the already long turn around time though since they wait a few days to ship back a bulk.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)
    Slight hijack: I scored a pair of Shell cordovan McNeil's on eBay for $50. The fella who owned them before me, clearly was not a 11.5 B and had his feet crammed in there. As a result the footbed is pretty wonky. Does anyone know if they replace the cork during a resole?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    562 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    Slight hijack: I scored a pair of Shell cordovan McNeil's on eBay for $50. The fella who owned them before me, clearly was not a 11.5 B and had his feet crammed in there. As a result the footbed is pretty wonky. Does anyone know if they replace the cork during a resole?
    Yes.

New Outsoles
    New Heels
    New Cork Inlay
    New Welting
    New Laces
    Refinished & Hand Polished

https://www.allenedmonds.com/discove...ecrafting.html
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Thanks! In that case I'm gonna drop em off at the store today.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    272 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    Thanks! In that case I'm gonna drop em off at the store today.
    Just be aware that the do not replace the leather footbed. I had a similar find with a pair of shell Grayson’s on EBay and had them refinished. Though they are miles better, there still a slight imprint on the leather sole bed. It is not a big deal and diminishes over time. It was still worth it in my opinion.